Filed under Showcase, Sports

Cheer is a Sport

Patterson Mill Cheerleaders Fall 2013

Patterson Mill Cheerleaders Fall 2013

Patterson Mill Cheerleaders Fall 2013

Cheerleaders, the girls and boys who lift more than a ball, jump higher than a basketball player, tumble across a mat rather than running across a court or field, and move their bodies in ways of a contortionist, are somehow not considered athletes.

The official definition of a sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. In competitive cheerleading, we are required to put in maximum effort, using our talents that most non-cheerleaders are NOT capable of, and we compete against many teams that are often times very difficult to beat. We have to create a routine that meets specific requirements, without receiving safety deductions or messing up, which is very similar to “real sports.”

Varsity Cheerleading Coach, Coach Yates, says, “cheerleaders condition and practice just as much as other athletes and combine strength and endurance with gymnastics.”

Although I do agree that football is a sport, the ball that is tossed weighs approximately 14 to 15 ounces, and the ball is thrown to another person, but the only thing risked in not catching the ball is a few points. In cheerleading, we hold up, and throw girls that are more than a hundred pounds, and are depended on catching them, or they could be seriously injured.

Many people argue that competitive cheerleaders are not athletes, because of what we wear. Our tight crop tops and skirts are definitely glorified for looks, but the small amount of flexible clothing is necessary to be able to move our bodies the way a cheerleader must. We also do not have padding or protective gear, which makes the sport very dangerous. Before bashing cheerleading, give it a try.

1 Comment

One Response to “Cheer is a Sport”

1. Sam on February 1st, 2017 3:12 pm

I do competetive cheer. I have done all stunting positions depending on which age group I am in. I am small for my age, so I am typically a flier. I had to hold complex body positions, on one foot, too, and trust my bases and backspots to catch me.
    I have been a base. I have been stepped on, fallen on,, knocked over, hurt, and had my head hit the floor catching a flyer.
    I have been a back spot. I gave up all of the glory to get fallen on, bruised, and tired after a long practice.
    Cheer is not easy. We work harder than most sports, but it isn’t all physical. If I get scared, I mess up the routine. I have to control my emotions to such a degree that I could be an actress. Cheer is a sport.

[Reply]

*

• Cheer is a Sport

Community

Hop into Spring

• Cheer is a Sport

Grease is the Word

• Cheer is a Sport

Community

A Change in the HCPS Schedule

• Cheer is a Sport

School Activity

Are you heading down the right path?

• Cheer is a Sport

Why You Shouldn’t Ship Harley Quinn and The Joker

• Cheer is a Sport

Showcase

What’s Hurting Your iPhone Battery?

• Cheer is a Sport

Showcase

Bad Apple

• Cheer is a Sport

Showcase

Chocolate Mug Cake

• Cheer is a Sport

Pop Culture

Houseplant Appreciation Day (yes, it’s a thing)

• Cheer is a Sport

Pop Culture

Are New Year’s Resolutions Worth The Effort?

Cheer is a Sport