Filed under Showcase, World News

Up, Up and (Locked) Away

Courtesy of www.businessinsider.com

Courtesy of www.businessinsider.com

Think it’s funny to send bomb threats to large airline companies? Think you won’t get caught because, well, you are only a silly teenager who’s just pulling a little prank? Think again.

On April 14, 2014, a fourteen year old Dutch girl by the name of Sarah tweeted American Airlines the following: “Hello my name’s Ibrahim and I’m from Afghanistan. I’m part of Al Qaida and on June 1st I’m gonna do something really big bye.”

The airline did not take this lightly, and officials immediately responded with: “Sarah, we take these threats very seriously. Your IP address and details will be forwarded to security and the FBI.”

Sarah (whose currently suspended twitter handle is @queendemetriax_) was arrested by police in Rotterdam, in the Netherlands, the following day.

However, this did not stop other mindless teens to carry on this so-called joke. Numerous other tweets were sent to American Airlines, all threatening to bomb a flight:

[email protected]_: @AmericanAir Is it ok if I bomb your planes please? I asked politely.”

“ @ReinaldoMassa Hello my name’s Khancie and I’m from Afghanistan. I’m part of Al Qaida and on April 16th I’m gonna have a chest bomb on me @AmericanAir.”

Al-Qaeda is a Radical Sunni Muslim organization which is dedicated to the elimination of a Western presence in Arab countries. The organization was founded in 1988 by Osama bin Laden and violently opposes Western foreign policy.

These threats via Twitter have caused much stress for the airline company. Aviation industry officials have said that they take the threats “very seriously”; even though the tweets are pranks, they still have to treat them as if they are real by going through emergency procedures. As a result, airline resources are being drained.

“At American, the safety of our passengers and crew is our top priority. We take security matters very seriously and work with authorities on a case-by-case basis,” American Airlines spokesman Matt Miller told CNN news company. “American’s response was taken down per our standard procedures. In this type of situation, we flag the conversation with the proper authorities and then take down the message(s).”