Filed under Showcase, Technology

Amazon’s New Fire Phone

Amazon is one of the most well-known companies in the world and had just released their first smartphone on the market to compete with Apple, Samsung, etc. Unfortunately, it might have not been the best move for them to make.

Amazon’s phone named the Fire Phone, has many features somewhat like many other smartphones, just not as great. It starts off with its 3D display which creates a pretty wicked perspective. It has a “Firefly” technology which allows the user to identify an object or information written in magazines by scanning them with the camera. Music and movies can be identified by listening to them. It also had a “Mayday” feature, which is a free video tech support service with live assistance. Amazon employees are able to access the phone remotely to fix any problems or change settings. “Amazon has some nice features but they just aren’t enough to compete with what everyone else views in smartphones today,” says Rachel Terry, a junior at Patterson Mill.

It has been reported that many consumers have complained about battery life on the Fire Phone. Jen Sokolis, an Algebra teacher at Bel Air High School, states battery life is “super dooper important! I need it to last all day so I can check my social media apps and to text my friends.”

Many consumers have thought that the Fire Phone just wasn’t needed and it was released at the wrong time. “I think the Fire Phone is failing because more people want to stick with products they know such as Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, etc.,” based on Gavin Davidson’s opinion, a 7th grader at Patterson Mill.

On September 9th, Apple announced their plans for their newest smartphone, the iPhone 6 and 6 plus, at a launch event in Cupertino, California. The new iPhones will have bigger screens specifically 4.7 and 5.5 inches. They will include an A8 processor which has 25% faster CPU (Central Processing Unit) and 50% faster graphics. A new feature for the camera is on the front and will continuously take pictures or selfies (also known as a burst). Apple has also introduced Apple Pay for the iPhone 6 and 6 plus. iPhone users will be able to have their credit card on the iPhone and can scan their iPhone to pay for products like a regular credit card.

With the iPhone 6 release announced on September 9th, Amazon is desperate for sales and has drastically lowered the price to $0 down and $18.75 per month for 24 months. They are hoping that their sale will turn things around. While Amazon’s Fire Phone is on the edge of failure, Apple (so far with their iPhone 6 and 6 plus) has gathered plenty of attention.