Technology by Storm

Youvathana Sok, a CNN iReporter was greeted with the aurora borealis also known as the Northern Lights, when he was at Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park in Maine Multi colored lights lit up the sky on Friday. Due to a strong solar storm which is a sudden temporary outburst of energy from a small area of the sun’s surface —called also flare. , the residents of the northern parts of the United States could see the Northern Lights. The Earth’s atmosphere usually protects us from the harmful effects. Dr. Lika Guhathakurta, a program scientist with NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory said “People on the ground really don’t have to worry”

The sun is a ball of gas made up of 92.1% of hydrogen and 7.8% of helium. Due to this there are random spurts of gas with magnetic energies which is known as a solar storm. Solar storms effect technology like it distorts GPS readings up to a few yards. Also the storm increases corrosion along the Alaskan oil pipeline and finally homing pigeons have been known to go of course. The storms have been known to cause terror before, on March 13th 1989 one storm knocked out power to an entire province of Quebec for 12 hours. In the United States there were affects to power grids but there were no blackouts.

Patricia Nevin had to say “I think it’s good that these solar storms are happening, it’s gives kids a reason to be outside and away from their phones.” Mrs. Nevin then said “The teenagers of today’s society is too involved in technology” Then when asked about if she is worried that a storm has a chance to hit Earth, Mrs. Nevin replied “Not really, Earth is such a small little blue dot compared to the sun. The odds that one will hit us has to be unlikely.” The odds that a solar storm will hit us are very slim.