Award Winning Patterson Mill Custodians

The Silver Hammer Award

The Silver Hammer Award

The Patterson Mill Maintenance crew was awarded, for the first time, the silver hammer award by Maryland’s Comptroller Mr. Peter Franchot. The Comptroller of Maryland website explained the award was intended “for schools that have demonstrated a commitment to fiscal responsibility through superior school maintenance.” Patterson Mill, “earned a superior rating on the most recent state inspection with examiners praising the schools’ preventative maintenance” sited The Dagger. This year’s nominations were submitted to Vicki Fisher via email which was accessed on Comptroller.marylandtaxes.com, and a winner was selected by Peter Franchot and his comptroller office.

Mrs. Peggy, a custodian at Patterson, explained that the award was obtained by keeping the school clean and making sure everything is working properly such as the air, heating and toilets. Vice Principal, Mr. Milanowski noted that Peter Franchot is in charge of the budget. The award praises schools for maintaining the facility, because it allows funding to go elsewhere.

The award uplifts custodians and teachers alike; Mrs. Peggy said, “It was nice to be appreciated.” She also noted that at the ceremony, “there were a lot of teachers and that really meant a lot to me.”

Mr. Milanowski agreed, the award “is well deserved, the staff goes above and beyond.”

Teachers and staff aren’t the only ones who respect the maintenance crew. Sophomore student Ashley Goudy explained, “I think it’s reassuring, because that means our school is very clean. That’s a good environment for us, and so we don’t get sick.”

The Patterson Mill custodians work diligently to ensure a clean work environment for students. This impacts students on so many levels such as better performance and pride in their school.

Sophomore, Ashley Betz at Patterson told, “It definitely gives us pride. The other day Perry Ville came into our school and said how nice and clean it was and that they liked it here.” Students appreciate the pristine school they have especially knowing that is not an environment all high school students are privy to. Goudy thinks Patterson is cleaner than most schools in the area.

Goudy and Betz both agreed that pride in their school was impacted by the respect other community members had. They believe that dirtiness makes a high school have a worse reputation and even seem a bit “trashy”. Mr. Milanowski added that Patterson still looks new and that the school is just as clean if not cleaner than its newer counter parts.

If custodians have such a large impact on students, are they appreciated for their contribution?

Mrs. Peggy one of the custodians said not all students appreciate their hard work and, “It’s really upsetting that students just throw their food down” in the cafeteria.

She spoke of other students by saying, “I hope they appreciate all the little things we do for them.”

Luckily some students such as sophomore Mia Sherwood, do appreciate the custodians; she mentioned, “The custodians are the best people in the school.”

The custodians are impactful in more way than one. Mr. Malinowski thought students who have more interaction with the custodians have a better appreciation for their contribution to the school. Betz admiringly told that, “All the custodians are really nice” Goudy added, “They always ask how your day was.”

The Patterson Mill custodial crew seems to be on top of their game, winning the silver hammer award, as well as having respect from most of their school community. They won the award by working hard to ensure a clean working environment, and gained students’ and teachers’ respect by not only being superior within their own career, as well as being friendly as they work. Mrs. Peggy encourages students to work alongside the staff to make the school a better place: “Let’s all work together to keep everything nice.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Award Winning Patterson Mill Custodians”

1. Julie on October 21st, 2016 4:40 pm

Great job guys that’s awesome!

[Reply]

2. Sharon Palmer on October 23rd, 2016 6:59 pm

Congratulations Patterson Mill Middle/High School custodians, well deserved!

[Reply]

*

• Award Winning Patterson Mill Custodians

Community

Hop into Spring

Grease is the Word

Community

A Change in the HCPS Schedule

School Activity

Are you heading down the right path?

Why You Shouldn’t Ship Harley Quinn and The Joker

Showcase

What’s Hurting Your iPhone Battery?

Showcase

Bad Apple

Showcase

Chocolate Mug Cake

Pop Culture

Houseplant Appreciation Day (yes, it’s a thing)

Pop Culture

Are New Year’s Resolutions Worth The Effort?

Award Winning Patterson Mill Custodians