Tis The Season To Be Thankful

The Holiday Season is underway which leads to lots of nostalgia, the continuing of traditions and the making of new ones. Some people are impartial to either Thanksgiving or Christmas, usually due to the traditions and significance they hold.

The holidays are famously known as the “most wonderful time of the year,” because there seems to be more thankfulness and selflessness to go around. Fox news put it best, “Like it or not, the holiday season is underway. It happens earlier every year. There is no stopping it. Why not embrace it?”

“The holidays are really about spending time with your family. Therefore, taking a minute to breathe and not stress” expressed Sophomore Carter Zapf.

Zapf explained that his favorite holiday had to be Thanksgiving, because, “On Christmas, I don’t see as much family and I have better memories associated with Thanksgiving.”

For the same reasons, Kaitlyn Wilson prefers Christmas; as well as the fact that Christmas occurs during winter, one of her favorite seasons and the break from school is much longer.

Kaitlyn says her family likes to give back during the holidays by donating to the humane society. And she said that her favorite tradition is to go and pick out a tree with her family, they cut one down every year and decorate it together.

Another more well-known tradition during the holidays is going to a real life 34th street in Baltimore Maryland that decorates elaborately every year and draws massive crowds. Residence have been drawing people to see their light displays for over sixty years. The festivities nod toward the 1947 production of, Miracle on 34th street.

Carter said that his families tradition was to, “go to [his] grandmother’s house and all the kids would go out back and play.” But the tradition he remembers and likes most is their white elephant gift exchange. His family has a unique tradition, in that they do the gift exchange on Thanksgiving instead of Christmas.

Wilson’s most fond memories of Christmas took place when she was little. She said, “When we were younger me and my cousins would dress up in my Aunt’s clothes. We would pretend we were reindeer, Santa and Mrs. Clause. And we’d always put on a play.”

The holidays are a time to be around family, celebrate religious beliefs and eat and bake lots of delicious food. During the holidays memories are made and families give back to their community by serving and as this holiday season starts up it is evident that this year will be no exception.