A Change in the HCPS Schedule

As you may have heard, next year there is going to be a change in the usual HCPS schedule; The 2017-2018 school year doesn’t begin until after Labor Day! But should students be happy about this?

Next year, not only is school starting after Labor Day but all HCPS students, not just elementary students, will be getting random half days on a monthly basis, according to the HCPS website and calendar. The problem with this is that breaks such as Thanksgiving and Spring break are being shortened to only about 2-3 days. The 2017-2018 is still scheduled to end June 7th, like this year, but it could go much longer and reduce breaks even more if there are snow days. So is this schedule change a good or bad one for the students and staff here at Patterson Mill?

Junior, Valeria Ortiz says that the new schedule will personally benefit her because the half days will give+ her “extra time to study.” She also states that it will help seniors “who are going to work or be in sports.” She says that having less breaks will let us “take advantage of the school year” and “give us a longer summer, especially for seniors.”

Freshman, Diane Vik says that the change is personally bad for her because to her, “the breaks are really important” because it gives her time to “relax and catch up on work.” Although the changes are bad for her, she says that “the longer summer could help those with jobs” and the shorter breaks mean that people won’t forget everything they learned.

But what do teaches think of this change?

High school Spanish Teacher, Senorita Breen says that she has “no strong opinion one way or the other” because “we’re going to go 180 days no matter what.” She says that she does appreciate not having the entire week off for Thanksgiving. Senorita Breen continues, and says that “this change is a political thing about teachers unions and what they want versus what Peter Franchot wants to support Ocean City.” Breen concludes by saying that “Maryland is going to be getting any more money” from her over Labor Day Weekend than before and that going back after Labor Day doesn’t affect her much at all.

All in all, this change to the HCPS schedule seems to be great for soon-to-be seniors, but not so great for underclassmen. With a longer summer, but shorter breaks, are you a fan of the new schedule?