Filed under School Activity

World Language Week

the paw print encompasses Patterson Mill and its languages taught.

courtney heiner

courtney heiner

It is time to celebrate foreign languages! The past week of March 5th to the 11th has been quite exciting for the students of Patterson Mill. This week long event was created by Alpha Mu Gamma in 1957, to help make the United States aware of how important it is to study foreign languages. This week is celebrated at our school to widen the students horizons on possible interests and passions.

The posters around the halls of Patterson Mill High School may have caught ones eye. These posters serve to inform the students about World Language week and offer an extra credit option. By scanning the QR code on the poster using snapchat or the QR code reader app, one may access the questions and translate.

In addition to receiving extra credit for the QR sayings, one may have worn the colors of either the French, Spanish, or German flag during the first three days of the week. Then the last two days consisted of dressing up like a Frenchmen, Spanish cowboy, Oktoberfest costume, and then finally showing world language pride through a t-shirt design.

The spirit of world languages is high and by each homeroom answering trivia questioned asked each day of the week correctly, increased their chances in winning the homeroom breakfast. “We are focusing specifically on the three languages that are taught in our school, but students are encouraged to go beyond the big three especially if they choose to create T-shirts representing the theme of the week,” states Senorita Breen, High School Spanish I, Spanish IV, and German I teacher.

It is important to consider other cultures aside from one’s own, not only to celebrate others history, but find appreciation for other languages. One may have noticed the puzzle pieces and be wondering what the significance of them. Zach Buher believes the puzzle pieces represent the “idea of piecing together languages” coinciding with Senorita Breen’s definition of “finding the missing piece.  Learn a language!” Patterson Mill is full of the “spreading of culture” and learning new world languages, June Ikemoto, a member of French National Honor Society adds.

This is not only a Patterson Mill tradition, but many other schools in Harford county partake in these event. This has “engaged our school and community in understanding the world around us,” says Olivia Beil, Spanish National Honor Society member. The spirit of world languages has dramatically increased throughout the halls of Patterson Mill High School. In addition to students showing their spirit, they were still engaging in their regular world language class.