Why Senior Speeches?

Graduation is coming up quickly and that means saying a good buy to the seniors of this school. During graduation, some seniors will also be able to give their goodbyes and advice with their graduation speeches. But, why are the speeches so important to people. Who was chosen and what makes a good speech that they get to speak at graduation?

The senior class advisers are Mrs. Richardson and Mrs. Walker, both teachers at Patterson Mill, who held a sort of tryouts. “Only 3 people tried out for the speaking spot during graduation” explained Mrs. Richardson.

“It’s better to have someone from school, rather than a guest speaker to speak at graduation because it will reflect their experience and the, around seven years they spent together” Mrs. Richardson said.

“It definitely has more emotion behind the speeches because they have been in the same building talking to each other for years. The speech is better if it is from one of their own.” Mrs. Walker stated.

“Me and Mrs. Richardson aren’t the only ones deciding” Mrs. Walker “There is a panel of teachers that will work together and help us decide who will be the speech at graduation. There are in total eleven teachers including us.”

But what makes a good speech? What is needed to make a speech that will let you speak to all of your peers during graduation? “A good speech needs to be humorous, but real.” Says Mrs. Richardson “It also needs to have a good message but also it has to be quick. Graduation moves along fast and so the speech needs to be fast as well.”

Mrs. Walker also added that, “A good speech needs to be reflective on the years that the students have spent together, a sort of goodbye. The speech also needs to be articulate. It needs to be smooth and make sense. Finally, it needs to be quick. Short and to the point.”

But there is one question not answered yet. Who was chosen? Who is going to speak at graduation? Mrs. Richardson only said that I should, “go to graduation to find out.” But thanks to the members of yearbook and Mrs. Baugher we know that Lilly Pohlenz is the speaker.

The speaker is an important job because they need to make the senior class reflect on all of the years that they spent together. So good luck Lilly, make sure to give the seniors a great goodbye.