Filed under Sports

NFL Officials Tipped off?

There was a division battle at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford New Jersey,  home of the New York Jets against the visiting New England Patriots that came down to a penalty in overtime.  The visiting Patriots had momentum coming off their last meeting against the Jets with a 13-10 win and heading into the locker room with a 21-10 lead at halftime. Until, the second half was underway and the Jets defense came out with confidence. Intercepting Tom Brady for a 23 yard return for a touchdown. The fourth quarter turned into a defensive fight till the end. With the Jets offense shut down by the Patriots defense with no points allowed and New England held to two field goals by the Jets defense. It was a tie game 27-27 as time expired and the game entered overtime.

There was 5 minutes and 7 seconds left on the in the fourth quarter  when Jets kicker Nick Folk lined up a 57 yard field goal attempt to win the game in overtime.  Until, the ball was hiked and there were flags on the field… the penalty was against Patriots lineman Chris Jones and the call was pushing his own teammates in the process of the play pushing the Jets line back causing the flag.

This 15 yard penalty gave Nick Folk a much better chance to win the game and he connected the 42 yard field goal to win the game 30-27.

The responses of both coaches explain the game Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s response to the flag was, “the Jets pushed on field goal attempts as well.”

Jets coach Rex Ryan’s response showed pride in the penalty,   “He’s got to make up his mind. Or now what the story is … we did it? OK, I got you.” This statement creates the theory that Coaches inform officials of other teams penalties to benefit their chances of winning.   So the questions are is this penalty going to continue being enforced, and is this strategy of tipping off officials going to be a common strategy for NFL teams.