Filed under Editorial

Why I Hate the Pep Rally

The Husky high-fives students at the 2013 Homecoming Pep Rally

The Pep Rally is an annual tradition aimed at building school spirit before the Homecoming game and dance. Traditionally, the cheerleaders perform, the team captains talk about their season, and a variety of games are played to increase competition between the classes.

Although most students enjoy the pep rally, I do not. I think that the unfairness of the games makes the pep rally less fun for everyone but the seniors.

In the first game, tug of war, we watch a bunch of seniors drag half as many freshmen to the ground, causing them to face plant. While some people find it funny, I think it’s cruel and unfair. Logically, in the first round, freshman should verse juniors and sophomores should verse freshman. This year, when the sophomores beat the juniors, extra people were added to thesenior team to ensure they would win.

There was one game, though, that bothered me most this year and led me to this conclusion. About 6 pairs of people were lined up back to back and were required to pass a volleyball between their backs without using their hands. The juniors won by several seconds. There was even a teacher on the mat to judge the winner and she called it for the juniors.

The junior section went crazy having really won a game for the first time in years. Then, one of the MC’s announced that the juniors were disqualified because they had too many people and the seniors had actually won.

Extra people would actually have been a disadvantage since it would be another chance to drop the ball. The fact that they changed an obvious outcome was appalling.

Many seniors don’t mind cheating to win. Senior Hayley Schindler thinks that “even if [the seniors] lose, they should say we won” because “everyone wants their senior moment to be special.”

Personally, I find watching a rigged competition to be way less interesting than watching one where everyone has an equal chance. It’s hard to have school spirit and root for your class when you know the seniors will win no matter how hard the other grades try.

I am a senior so the fact that I don’t like an event where my team always wins doesn’t make much sense. However, I remember being an underclassman and feeling bored and annoyed knowing that my friends didn’t have a chance of winning anything.

Most of my classmates don’t agree with me. Senior Anna Tarcza thinks that if underclassmen are allowed to win “it doesn’t show respect for the seniors.”

Many seniors believe that because they have been here the longest the competition should be rigged.

MC Madison Buchness said that seniors must wait for “4 years leading up to the big win. We are the kings and queens of the school.”

MC Joey Ricks agrees. “Senior year, we should dominate,” he said.

The truth is that every single senior started out as a freshman four years ago. There is no reason why the pep rally should only be fun for the seniors and not the three other grades that make up the majority of the school population.

This year, as I waited for the pep rally to finally end, I realized how much better it could be if the seniors didn’t always win. The unfairness makes the competition boring: there is no excitement when you already know the outcome.