Filed under World News

Denver High School Boys Take Middle School Hostage with BB Guns

Courtecy of 10news.com

Courtecy of 10news.com

In the state of Denver Colorado, two fifteen year old high school boys have been arrested with the charges of assault, property damage, and disruption of the Peace. On the night of November 4th, 2013, the young assailants invaded Rachel B. Noel Middle School with what was describes to be long rifles. The school was not occupied by students but the janitors and faculty that stayed late that nights were terrorized by what they believed were real armed gunmen. According to police reports, teachers were being threatened to be shot by one of the boys if they were to not comply.  Although there were no fatalities there was plenty of destruction towards school property that night. It was said that the only real harm was that a window was broken, two classrooms were ransacked, and a computer was stolen.

It was only when the local Denver Police and the SWAT arrived and apprehended the two boys, it was discovered that their weapons were actually BB guns. One might think that because the guns were non-lethal, that’s a good thing. Unfortunately, it is one of the worst things that could happen. The issue caused the police and even government SWAT teams to get involved and over two child felons with their toys. It may sound petty at first thought but it waves a red flag yelling that that school is not protected with gun control. If kids with bb guns can take a school and teachers hostage, why can’t real gunmen with real guns do the same?

It’s no secret that gun control and school shootings are becoming a growing problem in the United States. School violence is sweeping the nation with smuggled weapons, student fights, and threats. On the topic of gun control, Assistant Principal Mr. Adam Milanoski believes otherwise, “I don’t think there’s a problem; I believe it is becoming more frequent, but over all I think gun control isn’t a huge issue.”

It is believed by many that school all over should strengthen gun control in schools by having metal detectors, more school hired police officers, and random locker searches and checks. If there ever was a threat how would Patterson Mill react? Again, Mr. Milanoski has the answers that could potentially save your school. “If a person were to come into the building with a weapon the school would be places on lockdown immediately and we would notify the authorities. Once the authorities show up on scene they take over but until then the administrative police officer will be in charge of finding where the suspects are and that person would be in charge from the get-go.”

There is also the matter on how people think about gun control. Some believe it is their god given right from the second amendment to own a firearm but Patterson Mill sophomore Alisha Clark believes that gun control is necessary. “Gun control is very good because if there was no gun control, there would be no protection to the students and teachers of the school.”

Patterson Mill should take the mishap of Rachel B. Noel Middle School as a lesson to live by and try to make sure guns, real or fake, should never threaten the lives of the students of Harford County.