Filed under Showcase, Technology

Where are all the hurricanes?

Hurricanes can be very deadly and it is impossible to predict where they will hit. The current 2014 and last year’s 2013 Atlantic Hurricane Season have not produced many tropical storms or hurricanes at all. People are also wondering if this could be a sign that global warming is false.

At the peak point for the 2014 season, things have been very strange. There have been a total of 6 depressions, 5 named storms, 4 minor hurricanes, and one recent major hurricane. These statistics are very below average for a normal season. The average season, starting from June and ending in November, has about 12 tropical storms, while six of those will become hurricanes. Many reasons can contribute to a slow hurricane season. Ms. Bennett, a new high school science teacher at Patterson Mill, states that the hurricane season is quiet because of “cold sea/ocean temperatures and the cold winter we just had. I think that in the future the seasonal patterns will continue to impact the Atlantic hurricane seasons.”

Now, as the days approach October, the usual paths for storms during this month mostly run their course either hitting the east coast or just passing it. The Caribbean Sea has also had increased wind shear over the years, causing October storms to most likely form there. “Hurricanes are completely unpredictable,” stated Zach Weber, a sophomore at Patterson Mill. “It all depends on how the wind takes it and where the storm goes in a matter of days.”

Depending on the next few years, it is still unknown what is to come for the Atlantic hurricane seasons and whether this has anything to do with global warming. Jesse H., a junior at Patterson Mill, states that “temperatures could possibly keep decreasing. I think that in some ways global warming is wrong.” It has been proven in many ways that global warming is true such as glaciers in Antarctica that are steadily decreasing in size and that the many hurricane seasons before have been very powerful. Hopefully, the intense Atlantic hurricane seasons will continue to decline.