Filed under Health

Can Coffee Consumption Affect Academic Performance?

Coffee has been a popular drink among students for many reasons, but teachers and students consider that if it was allowed it school, could it affect students’ academic performance?

“Caffeine a drug. It’s not a scary or very dangerous drug, but it’s still a drug” a fact well pointed out by Madame Mangum, the French teacher here at Patterson Mill. Caffeine is a diuretic which means that the body releases more urine. Basically, coffee can make one pee more. Caffeine being a diuretic can also contribute to dehydration if one drinks too much. Another thing, according to kidshealth.org, is that caffeine contains empty calories which do not give the body nutrients.

The effects of caffeine can be felt up to six hours. This could be both a pro and con. For some, it can be a pro because they will feel up and active in their classes for a full six hours. Madame Mangum shuts down this point, “I think some students don’t need any more caffeine or excitement rushing through their bloodstream…” The six hour rush could be a con for some because most teachers do not appreciate their students bouncing off the walls and not paying attention to the lesson.

Many students these days also struggle with anxiety and stress issues. Unfortunately, coffee does not help those problems. Coffee could actually make those defects worse than they already are.

Ms. Bennett, a new biology teacher at PMHS, and Madame Mangum both agree that coffee should not be allowed in class. The main reason is because of the mess. “It’s sticky and it’s not in a closed container” Bennett says.

Madame Mangum takes the custodial point of view and says, “I know in lockers at the end of the year there’s messes that the custodial staff has to clean up because people have sour milk from their coffee cups lingering which is just gross for all involved.”

Another reason teachers aren’t thrilled about coffee in classes is that it could be a possible distraction. Madame Mangum thinks it could be a distraction “…if it spills or ‘ooh it smells so good let me smell it! What kind do you have? I have this kind!’”

Teachers also support the fact that coffee isn’t the healthiest option for high schoolers. Ms. Bennett says, “There are healthier choices for an energy burst in the morning.”

The main question still stands: would coffee in school improve academic performance? The teachers were asked how students were performing in their class as of early October. Mangum responded, “It’s still so early, it’s hard to tell, but so far good. I think the beginning of the year is always much better because people want to make a good impression…we’re not in any kind of rut yet!”

Ms. Bennett is a strong believer that coffee should be prohibited. She thinks that if one wants to get an energy burst in the morning, he/she should “wake up early enough to drink it because it’s getting up and being active that’s really going to wake you up.”

Teens use coffee for many reasons: to get some energy before cramming for a test, to wake up properly before school, or simply just to post a picture on Instagram. Teachers aren’t thrilled about coffee in class but the student body could change that!