Filed under Community, Health

Suicide In Youth

You're not alone.

You're not alone.

Lacey Lovrich

Lacey Lovrich

You're not alone.

Suicide is still a relevant topic of concern for teens. In a recent article, there was story about a Kansas high school dealing with the suicides of two 16-year-old girls, who died only days apart. Ciara Webb was found dead on a Friday, and only two days later on Sunday, her friend Cady Housh stepped in front of a train and died as well.

Suicide is the third leading cause of death for youth ages 12-18. Is it because it has a chain effect? Can it be stopped?

Well according to Patterson Mill 11th grader, Sierra Wolbert, “Suicide can definitely have a chain effect, although it mostly depends on the person.” She then went on to share that she thinks that suicide in youth can help be prevented if “the school was more open in showing support for depressed and suicidal teens and were more open about talking about it.”

Jane Russell, the school psychologist says that she has talked a few students through their “times of crisis” after having had someone they know commit suicide. She goes onto say that there are definitely students who may see other teen suicides as an opportunity for a “copycat situation.” Although she’s never seen the experience happen first hand.

“…the first thing that’s important is to create a safe environment so the kids will feel safe telling you how they’re feeling.” Says Heather Hartman, one of the schools guidance counselors.Studies have shown that schools that make the guidance office a welcoming place are more likely to get students to open up and come to them in times of distress and crisis, therefore helping to prevent students from taking any drastic measures. It’s also been proven that youth that is more willing to talk through their problems with people trained to help them are more likely to come out of their depressions a lot better off than youth that go it alone.

There are always people put in place to help you, although it may not always be apparent.