Filed under Health

The More Money, the Merrier

Money is our currency, it’s how we pay for not only our needs, but our wants as well, but did you know it can buy emotions? Whether or not money causes a person to be happier or not. Money can buy happiness, but varies from one person to another. A person’s source of income or other ways of receiving money can spike a joy inside the person. If one were to receive more money from say a birthday, special occasion or a through a job, the person is overall a happier being. This “phenomenon” that money makes people happier can be seen through worldwide income studies.

NY Daily News described different ways money can make someone happy. Here are the five ways that it can; give the money away, get peace of mind, spend money on vacation or other ways to lessen stress, go out for nice dinner or meals and lastly to buy time. These are wonderful uses of ones money if one were to find themselves in a situation with extra cash. Not only can money buy oneself happiness it can buy others, such as donating towards a charity or spending the money on someone else.

Along with New York Daily News, many other websites with online articles reported on the debate of money making people happy. Forbes pitched in their thoughts on this topic and they said that “For instance, only 35% of people making less than $35,000 say they are “very happy,” versus 100% of people making more than $500,000.” This quote goes to show that studies can prove whether an income can changes ones feelings. The also said that, “Once people had enough to meet their basic needs, somewhere between $8,000 and $25,000 or the equivalent of that in various spots around the world, happiness leveled out.” This is a worldwide feeling of happiness once one acquires money.

“My family does generally have a higher income, so we are able to enjoy the finer pleasures in life and those pleasures always bring a smile to my face,” said Edgewood High school Freshman Alex Reed. The Wall Street Journal testified (WSJ), “People with higher incomes are, broadly speaking, happier than those who struggle to get by.” Both Alex and The WSJ see eye to eye and agree that someone with a higher income can indulge in more pleasure with a bigger source of money.

“Poor people are more thankful because they are less fortunate and try to treasure it as much as they can,” said Freshman Savannah London. Inc. News conveyed that, “When people have a lot more money, they can buy a lot more pleasures, but there are some indications that when you have a lot of money, you will savor each pleasure less.” Both of these quotes show opposite points of view, Savannah London sees that people with less money enjoy the pleasures of life and Inc. News says that people with more money can enjoy the pleasures that life offers.

“Poor people use it wisely and rich people use it on wants and not needs,” said Freshman Megan Hall. Time magazine stated, “The lower a person’s annual income falls below that benchmark, the unhappier he or she feels.” The statement made by Megan Hall and the statement by Time magazine go along with one another because both are basically saying that if one does not have money, one may not be as happy as someone with money.

Money proves to make people happier. With more money, more of life’s pleasures can be taken up. I agree with this article due to personal experience, money can buy certain peoples happiness. But some people don’t need money to be happy like people who tend to be poor, appreciate the small things so they don’t need money. But wealthy people may rely on more materialistic things to make them happy.

Brooke Lipscomb is shown holding money and is very excited to have it.

Courtney Heiner