Career Pathway Usefulness

Pathways are a Harford County Public Schools must, every student is required to have a pathways, but are they actually good? Career Pathways is defined as a workforce development strategy used in the United States to support workers’ transitions from education into and through the workforce.

People especially teen’s change their minds all the time. Did you know what you wanted to do from a young age, granted some did but most change their minds quite often? Students make their schedule for the next year not thinking “Hmm maybe I want to change what profession to go into.”

There have been college students who go from Law classes to Art classes, not every student will want to be what they were the year before. Opinions and minds change. There are options if your pathway changes but what if that certain class you need is full. Some students may not like that profession any more, or maybe they would like to have a backup.

Maeghan Gross a sophomore at Patterson Mill changed her pathway from Art to Foreign Language. She said “I really don’t like the pathways, they limit the classes that I could take because they are the one I must take. People want to take the classes that interest them, not the one that they must, of course there are the standard must take classes but everyone takes them, I don’t mind them as much but the electives are taken up by classes that could be put to better use.”

Teachers say that pathways are good and they keep you on track, but do students stay with them. Erika Vogt a junior at Patterson Mill said “I changed my pathways twice, I don’t like the fact that every time I change my career choice, I have to change my schedule and disrupt the current flow of everything, My life is already difficult enough I don’t need any more stress.”

Not everyone thinks that pathways are bad and not everyone thinks pathways are good, but some think that the pathways could be relaxed to where you don’t have to take those specific courses. The Career Pathway should be eliminated from the Harford County Public School requirements. They make life, and school more difficult