Husky Blend, One Year Later

The Husky Blend is available to Patterson Mill students during lunch.

Last year, Mrs. Kruger’s Hospitality Foods class was given a task to partner up and make a spice blend. This resulted in the Husky Blend, created by Grace Scheler and Erin Dunnigan, two PMHS graduates.

“The spice blend ended up being used by the cafeteria to enhance the flavor of the food,” explains Mrs. Kruger. Because of new health regulations for school cafeterias, salt was taken away. The cafeteria saw the spice blend as an opportunity to replace the salt without breaking any rules.

“The food became so bland and tasteless… this became a good opportunity to get students involved in their curriculum as well as getting the cafeteria involved to try and enhance the program, but it’s taken off from there!” Mrs. Barb, cafeteria manager, shares… and she’s right!

Over the weekend on the 10th, Mrs. Barb took the Husky Blend spice mixture to the Food Service Conference so she could sell “it to other schools so that they have the opportunity to help us get something going with the spice blend throughout the other schools.”

Mrs. Barb said she decided to take the spice blend to the conference because she “just wanted everybody to know what our school is about, what we’ve been doing, and how well our students have accepted it and the enhancement it’s made to the menu.” She then tells that at the conference she “went over the history of the spice and told how it was well absorbed by the faculty and staff. I wanted the state to taste it and for them to be able to enhance their program.”

It really was well absorbed by the school. As soon as the high school students had a chance to start using the spice at lunch, the middle school students heard about it and wanted in too.

“I’ve used it a couple times, I use it on my fries and I’ve tried on my salad a few times too,” shares 12th grade student Jana Cook. Students aren’t the only people using it the spice blend though.

“I keep a bottle of the spice blend here in my classroom. I have a bottle of it at home, and I actually use it on my breakfast. I find it’s good on eggs,” tells Mrs. Kruger, who was very excited about Mrs. Barb taking the spice blend to the conference over the weekend and was “happily surprised” over the success it’s made.

Mrs. Barb shares that she’s “really excited that the students enjoy it and trying to get other schools involved, other professional foods labs involved, too see if other schools can do this too. I’m just really excited.”

Husky Blend can only go up from here. If you haven’t already tried it, grab some from the condiments cart the next time you’re at lunch to help support the PMHS foods department, and wish everyone involved in the Husky Blend the best of luck!

1 Comment

One Response to “Husky Blend, One Year Later”

1. Allison Beermann on August 25th, 2016 1:53 pm

I think that this was a very good idea because it has replaced something so important when it comes to flavor and this isn’t far from it .

[Reply]

*

• Husky Blend, One Year Later

Community

Hop into Spring

• Husky Blend, One Year Later

Grease is the Word

• Husky Blend, One Year Later

Community

A Change in the HCPS Schedule

• Husky Blend, One Year Later

School Activity

Are you heading down the right path?

• Husky Blend, One Year Later

Why You Shouldn’t Ship Harley Quinn and The Joker

• Husky Blend, One Year Later

Showcase

What’s Hurting Your iPhone Battery?

• Husky Blend, One Year Later

Showcase

Bad Apple

• Husky Blend, One Year Later

Showcase

Chocolate Mug Cake

• Husky Blend, One Year Later

Pop Culture

Houseplant Appreciation Day (yes, it’s a thing)

• Husky Blend, One Year Later

Pop Culture

Are New Year’s Resolutions Worth The Effort?

Husky Blend, One Year Later