Filed under Health, Showcase

Coffee, Coffee

courtesy of bernardwinery.com

courtesy of bernardwinery.com

Many people would agree that High School students, teachers, and faculty have to wake up at a very unreasonable hour to start off their day of learning and teaching. In order to make up for the lack of sleep obtained the night before, most teachers, and even some students resort to the caffeinated boost that buries itself in coffee. Patterson Mill High School has many teachers with various coffee needs, some satisfied with just one cup, while others must drink up to five cups throughout the day in order for them to keep up the energy to teach their students. According to the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, there is strong evidence that moderate coffee consumption (about 3 to 5 cups per day) is not tied to any long-term dangers for healthy people, though they emphasize that they are not advising all people to drink this many cups.

Mr. Paquin, high school math teacher, proudly stated that he has recently decreased his coffee intake from as much as five cups a day down to just one in the morning. As a very “hardcore” coffee drinker, Mr. Paquin drinks his black and finds himself to become “very irritable and angry” when he does not get his daily cup. Fortunately for his students, Mr. Paquin always drinks the expected cup of coffee in the morning, providing him with the energy to teach for the rest of the day.

On the other hand, another math teacher, Mrs. Mitchell, said that, because she only drinks a small cup of coffee, she feels “indifferent” if she forgets her morning cup. Unlike most teachers, Mrs. Mitchell does not seem to need a caffeine boost to get herself through the long school day. In another part of the school, English teacher Ms. Silcox, confessed to needing about two to five cups of coffee in order to last the day. Without this extra boost, she finds herself contracting a “huge caffeine headache.”

Many people have different reactions to caffeine – some need it to keep them awake and energized throughout the day and others do not need it at all, drinking coffee because of its flavor. Patterson Mill has a variety of teachers, all teaching successfully whether or not they have their cup of coffee.