Bad Apple

Apple is everyone’s favorite company to get smartphones from, or so it seemed, but are Apple’s devices really as good as they once were? With the release of the new iPhone 7 and new MacBook Pro customers are beginning to speak out and complain about their satisfaction and experience with both their new and old Apple products.

According to NBC, 2016 was a year in which Apple “saw sales fall for the first time since 2001.”  Since the release of the iPhone 7, sales dropped at Apple according to CNN. The iPhone 7 doesn’t have a headphone jack in an attempt to make the iPhone more “sleek” according to Apple. Apple has also just released its new MacBook Pro, which has a Touch Bar that changes depending on what the user is doing on the computer in place of the function keys. The sales for this new MacBook were lower than Apple expected. Even though they are producing new technology, their sales are still falling, so what is Apple doing wrong?

Valeria Ortiz, a junior with an iPad and a Mac, says that she would not buy Apple’s new products because she doesn’t need them and “they seem to be overcomplicating things or just trying to outcompete with other companies.”  She says that Apple is still improving because “they are still very popular” but they seem to only be “focusing on their popularity rather than their customers.”

Mary Vik, a junior with an iPhone and an iPad says that she likes her current Apple products but says that “the functions are over whelming” because she is “not good with technology.” Mary continues to say that she would not buy the new Apple products because “the iPhone 7 doesn’t have a headphone jack” and their new products seem “hard to use.”  Mary says that she also wouldn’t buy them because she doesn’t need them for her daily life.

Hannah O’Steen, a junior with an iPhone, a Mac, and various models of iPods, agrees with Ortiz and says that “Apple seems to be focusing more on popularity than the customer’s wants and needs.” She says that an example of this is the iPhone 7’s lack of a headphone jack. She also says that the reason people keep buying new Apple products is because “once new models come out, the old ones stop working.” Hannah says that Apple continues to grow as a company but that they are staring to “anger many users.”

With Apple’s decline in sales and dissatisfied users, maybe they should actually listen to their customers and focus more on the functionality of their devices rather than their popularity.