Why You Shouldn’t Ship Harley Quinn and The Joker

Harley Quinn and the Joker are two of the most popular characters in DC comics, and by far the most popular couple, although they’re infamous among fans, are they a couple to look up to?

To people, who don’t have much knowledge about the pair, the answer would seem to be yes. This is due to the pair’s popularity and plethora of merchandise with seemingly cute pictures of the two. But for those who have read the comics or have just looked more into Harley and The Joker’s relationship, the answer would be no. If you do a bit of research on the two, it’s easy to tell that what they have does not represent positive relationship goals.

Whether you read the comics, watch the Batman animates series, or just search them up, you will find out that they have a very manipulative, and abusive relationship. The Joker almost constantly abuses Harley both verbally and physically, the two always lie to each other, and The Joker shows Harley little to no affection at all. The Joker is always manipulating Harley into doing all of his dirty work and he does nothing for her in return.

Two years ago, for Valentines Day, Hot Topic (a store that sells pop culture merchandise) released merchandise portraying Harley Quinn and The Joker as being relationship goals. Their advertisements also romanticized the couple even though they are in an abusive relationship with one another. The company made Harley and The Joker seem like a couple that other couples should strive to be. This caused the store fall under a lot of controversy due to their promotion of a harmful relationship. Unfortunately, many people do not know the sad truth behind this relationship, so what do people at PMHS think after finding out the reality of the pair?

Junior, Sarah Dinatale, says that on the surface the two look like “they’re meant for each other” but also “it’s an abusive relationship.”

Junior, Chad Shane agrees that Harley and The Joker are not relationship goals because “their relationship is based on deception and manipulation,” even though “they seem to be [relationship goals] in the movies.”

Math teacher, Mr. Smith also agrees that Harley and The Joker are in an abusive relationship. He says that “the Joker definitely has [Harley Quinn] manipulated.” He continues by saying that Harley Quinn “is doing everything The Joker wants her to do, and she’s not thinking very clearly for herself.”\

Chad Shane says that in a relationship, he’s looking for “someone who can make [him] laugh” and who “is nice”.

Sarah Dinatale says that a healthy relationship for her would include “a guy that actually cares” and knows that it’s “not all about the money”.

Although they seem like a cute and admirable couple on the surface, Harley Quinn and The Joker definitely shouldn’t be looked up to, because they are NOT relationship goals.