Are you heading down the right path?

Every student attending a Harford County public high school must complete the pathway program. The program requires a student to complete anywhere from three to eleven credits within a given category of classes. Pathways are meant to help students focus in on completing classes related to both their interest and career aspirations. Individual pathways are organized under four major categories. The categories are; “arts, media and communication”, “business, finance and information technology”, “health and human services” and “science, engineering and technology”.

Opinions are mixed as to the effectiveness of the pathway program and on whether pathways should be required at all. Music teacher, Mrs. Pastelak explained that the program, “May provide guidance” but that she does not think it should be mandatory.

Mrs. Pastelak acknowledged that the program could potentially help students, “who aren’t being directed at home or otherwise”, students whom, “don’t have an outside source” helping them to construct their schedule and identify their career options.

Any number of the pathways can assist students in navigating through classes that will help them explore topics related to their career goals. Some of these pathways include, “accounting and finance”, “literary arts”, “early childhood” and “general engineering”.

Pathways are meant, “to guide [students] in a direction that [they] might be interested in” stated art teacher, Mrs. Adams.

Mrs. Adams later added that the pathway program helps prep students for college. She noted that many student go off to college and waste both their time and money doing something they had never done before, thinking they would love it. Unfortunately, in many cases college students end up being disappointed and abandoning their focus for another.

Although the program has its upsides, it may not be entirely necessary. “We have outstanding guidance counselors” Mrs. Pastelak expressed going onto explain how with guidance from great counselors pathway programs may not even be necessary to guide students.

Pathways like anything else have their positives and negatives, they guide students, especially those whom are unsure of what career they would like to pursue.