Brain Drain

At Patterson Mill, there are classes that students know not to take due to the heavy workload; however, students should know about all the subjects that could cause a lot of stress. With all the classes, we have in the school, students definitely have many opinions on all the courses to take.

One of the major subjects students have to take is English. Students have the opportunity to take AP Language junior year and AP Literature senior year.

“The workload for AP Lang and AP Lit are around the same. Mr. Bruce just has higher writing expectations, if you are in either of these classes compared to regular English, which can be daunting,” Peter Deschner, a senior explained. Advanced placement classes in English don’t seem as hard as other subjects but students must have good writing abilities. Taking these two classes are always recommended, and are sure to have you ready for college writing.

Science is another major subject students can take AP classes in, and seem the hardest to pass in. If one is planning on taking AP Chemistry or AP Environmental, here is what a straight “A” student taking an AP chemistry has to say about it.

Junior, Rejoyce Mgboji is currently in AP Chemistry and said “AP Chemistry is the second most stressful class she is currently enrolled in.”

AP chemistry is currently being taught by Mr. Moldenhauer, a really good science teacher that truly wants to improve your problem solving. His classes are known to be hard, and AP Chemistry is an everyday class.

Mr. Moldenhauer, explained that “a lot of hard work and dedication is what gets you to pass one of my classes.”

Another student who has experience with Mr. Moldenhauer is Bruce Russell, a senior at Patterson. He claims that regular chemistry was “the hardest science he ever took, and can’t imagine taking AP.”

There is also Anatomy/Physiology, being taught by Ms. Bennett. Students have been complaining that this class is actually very hard, and regrettable. Grace Wisniewski, a junior said “this class is a lot of memorization. Plus the class isn’t quite organized well.” The workload in this class is a lot and students feel that the class is all over the place.

Math, one of the most troubling subject for many students, has honors and AP courses. Students have the options of taking AP Statistics, AP Calculus, and Honors Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus.

“Trig was definitely the most difficult honors class I have took,” said by junior, Chad Shane. He is not the only student that feels this way. Samantha Wehmer, a sophomore is currently taking honor trig and she said “Trig caused me to pull my first all-nighter, the second week of school.” She also explained she is in AP world, and that it’s not hard, it’s just a lot of homework.

Sarah Dinatale is a junior and takes trigonometry and gets homework every night. She explained that it’s the most stressful class because “all of the equations and there is so much to memorize.”

Students are usually stressed from “all the things from each AP class combined because it really adds up,” clarified junior, Lily Snyder. This music course isn’t a known class but it has been said that it is hard, the class is Music Theory, based off all the music courses. “If you don’t have a solid understanding of music, you will be lost for the majority of the year,” Peter Deschner added.

So unless you want to be stressed out of your mind, try to avoid taking all of these classes at once. Students at this school have warned you about the experience, but if you think you can handle it, go ahead and may the odds be ever in your favor!