Filed under Uncategorized

The Dreaded week is Approaching

Finals week is here and students in all grades are stressing out. The time has come where students must recall everything they have learned all year to prepare for the last test before school is let out.

Each class gives a final exam that is 1/9 of your grade. Most teachers will give you study packets and other guides to help you feel ready for the test. Students stress because this is the last grade entered into the grade book that could either make or break your grade. Many teachers believe that students should not be stressed about finals.

“Stressing about anything will cause you to perform poorly. But, they should take them seriously, especially if it will impact their overall grade,” states Mrs. Jessica Brockmeyer, drama teacher at Patterson Mill High School (PMHS).

Teachers are aware that with all of these finals, students become overwhelmed and they try their best to reassure them and go over as much as they can cover to boost a student’s confidence.

“I am only worried about finals for some classes because some of them I know I will 100% not do well on. It’s so difficult remembering each little detail we learned throughout the year even with studying so I feel testing will be hard,” explains Cassidy Ward, freshman at PMHS.

This year, students will come in at 10:00 a.m. for three days, take 2 finals, eat lunch, and then go home. Luckily, with the later start time students will get a few more hours to study and memorize any last information that will help them with their exams.

“I will try my best to study all my notes and study packets and guides my teachers have given me. Also, I will go over my practice exams and try to touch base on the answers I got wrong and focus on what I need to go over. Most importantly, I will try to get more sleep the nights before my finals and eat better,” adds Julia Frankis, freshman at PMHS.

Some teachers think finals are a great way to assess how much a student has progressed over the course of a year but some think it could be replaced with something else instead of making students take a 100 question standardized test.

“I would prefer to give formative and summative assessments all year long. I can’t even remember what I did at the beginning of the year! I think one project or writing assignment at the end of the year that reflects on the overarching themes or ideas might be a better alternative,” explains Brockmeyer.

Overall, finals can be very stressful especially with one for each course. However, if you study hard and prepare for each test, they will fly by. Finals are 1/9 of your grade so don’t fret too much but as soon as they are over, you can finally enjoy the summer sun!