Macbeth: After the curtain came down

Lizzie+Gutridge%2C+who+played+Macduff%2C+and+Max+Stover%2C+who+played+Macbeth%2C+battling+to+the+death+in+Patterson+Mill%27s+fall+production+of+Shakespeare%27s+Macbeth.+
Lizzie Gutridge, who played Macduff, and Max Stover, who played Macbeth, battling to the death in Patterson Mill's fall production of Shakespeare's Macbeth.

Olivia Peters

Olivia Peters

Patterson Mill’s fall play, Macbeth, could have gone badly due to it being “cursed,” but the show turned out to be a huge hit. It was made successful through the cast’s and crew’s hard work. The spring musical, Footloose, is bound to follow in its path.

A big contributor to the success of Macbeth was its ticket sales. In the auditorium, the majority of the seating was full all three nights. This was true not only for Macbeth, but for past Patterson Mill performances such as Grease, as well. The actors and actresses performing in Macbeth not only took on the role of their characters, but also their qualities. They did this through character development and countless rehearsals. Although the dialogue was Shakespearean, the lead roles were able to enunciate, which allowed the audience to better understand and clearly hear the show.

A large factor of a successful play is the cast’s and crew’s love of theatre. Macbeth was able to captivate and involve the audience using not only the stage, but also going into the audience to act. In one scene, an actress playing a drunk porter went around the auditorium and addressed the audience with jokes and mumbles. She lightened the mood and created a cheerful tone, which further connected the audience to the cast. The actress even went as far as to sit on an audience member’s lap, adding humor to one of Shakespeare’s darker plays. The whole cast was devoted and it showed in their performance.

The stage crew contributed greatly in the accomplishment of Macbeth. Between each scene, they had to make sure everyone received the correct weapon or prop and that the costume changes didn’t take too long. The backstage crew reminded the actors and actresses when they needed to go on stage. The crew members in charge of makeup and fake blood allowed the characters in the gruesome play to seem more realistic, such as when Banquo’s bloody ghost appeared to Macbeth at a dinner party. The red spotlights, created by lighting designer Mr. Todd Mion, contributed to the eerie mood and made the entire show even more dramatic. The set itself, designed by Mr. Tim Burcham, helped the audience envision what it would be like to be in Scotland with its enormity and intricate detailing at the time of the play. Due to the modern take on Macbeth, there was never a dull moment.

Macbeth has indeed kept up its reputation of being a cursed play. According to www.edu.pe.ca, an educational website, there’s a theory that Shakespeare included actual black magic spells in the chants of the evil witches. All those who appear in the play risk having these evils brought upon their heads. As for Patterson Mill, the only damage done was a minor injury during one of the shows. Kevin Lingelbach, who played King Duncan in the show, was rushing after a scene to change and accidentally hit his head on a door. Although he was bleeding, he went on the stage to finish his scene and even participated in the curtain call. Soon after, he was taken to the hospital to get stitches. Despite this mishap, the director of the show, Mrs. Jessica Brockmeyer, was pleased with production, “the show went so well that I’m considering doing another Shakespearean play next year.” Shakespeare is hard to act out and the cast’s and crew’s willingness and talent proved them capable of even these complex and conflicting plays.

Two of the major characters in Macbeth, Max Stover, who played the title role, and Lizzie Gutridge, who played Macduff, are also going to be the leads in Patterson Mill’s Footloose. Max will be playing Ren McCormack and Lizzie will be playing Ariel Moore. Both Max and Lizzie had to attend innumerable rehearsals and will have to do the same for Footloose. Freshman Lily Holtschneider, a new member to the Footloose cast, states, “I think we have a really good cast and everyone is working really hard to make the show a success.”

The Footloose cast includes many of the same actors and actresses from Macbeth, along with new members. Due to the large turnout, Ms. Romano, the director of Footloose, wanted to find a musical that allowed many students to have some major roles, instead of just a few. This was especially due to the large number of gifted students in the cast. The Footloose rehearsals started in late November and are held most days after school. The weeks leading up to the show will have even more practice time to put the finishing touches on the acting and stage effects. Rehearsals are going well so far and Ms. Romano is extremely proud of the cast’s progress. “Everyone seems to understand their character’s motivation and emotions. We have gone through the musical a few times so far and the cast continues to improve.”

The fall play, Macbeth, had a very talented cast and crew, as shown by how the cast successfully emoted Shakespeare’s eerie and dramatic tone. There was never a dull moment and the audience was captured with the scenery, added technology, and intense fight scenes. The spring musical, Footloose, is bound to have the same amount of talent and dedication.