Filed under School Community

Homework’s reign of terror needs to come to an end

Students have been given hours of homework every night and it's having negative effects. Many health problems, such as anxiety and insomnia,  have been caused nationwide from the extreme amount of homework assignments given to high school students.

Students have been given hours of homework every night and it's having negative effects. Many health problems, such as anxiety and insomnia, have been caused nationwide from the extreme amount of homework assignments given to high school students.

pixabay.com

pixabay.com

According to a study done by Stanford University, 56% of students claim homework to be a primary source of stress. At Patterson Mill, students are experiencing similar problems. Going home is supposed to be a daily break; however, that is not always the case. Students shouldn’t have to endure endless amounts of work after an 8-hour school day. Students should also not have to do homework that is just pointless busy work.

As reported by Healthline.com, studies have shown that students that spend more time on homework tend to have much higher stress levels, while also gaining some health problems such as headaches, sleep deprivation, and stomach problems. In the study, 70% of the high school students who were asked their opinions on the topic claimed that they were “often or always stressed over school work.” There is also the problem of what is being assigned to students as homework. Some homework can be considered “remedial” or unhelpful busy work. These types of assignments provide little benefits and, according to Livescience.com, can even lower students test scores when compared with students who weren’t given the assignment.

Others may say that homework can help you to learn beyond the classroom, but if a concept is practiced incorrectly, then the same mistakes can be repeated continuously on other assignments or even assessments. Another argument that is often made is that these assignments can teach students life lessons, such as time management or responsibility. These benefits can be overlooked when students are struggling to complete assignments and resort to copying another student’s work or just disregarding the assignment as a whole. One final claim that is usually made is that homework provides additional practice to better understand concepts. This claim holds some truth in that some practice can benefit a student; however, too much repetitive practice of the same concept causes these assignments to start to lose their benefits.

It is possible for Patterson Mill, and the teachers themselves, to take some of the stress off their students’ shoulders. By providing limits on how many hours of homework that is given every night, students will be able to have more time to gather their thoughts and produce better quality work. Another solution is to set guidelines on what is allowed to be assigned. This could limit the amount of unhelpful busy work that is given so often to many high school students. By limiting the busy work, and preventing the assignment of big projects that have close deadlines, teachers could help to reduce the amount of stress and anxiety that plagues students.

This is an important issue that needs to be dealt with and provided with a solid, long-lasting solution as soon as possible in order to improve the grades and general well-being of the entire student body of PMHS.