‘Footloose’ cast, crew thrilled to put on incredible show

From left to right: Learic Beatty, Ali Leary, Robbie Palen, Emily Marziale, Maddie Buher, Max Stover, Matea Tomic, Lizzie Gutridge, Connor McGinnis, Shelby Young, Nick Vach, and Dominic Nelson performing with the rest of the cast at the dance rehearsal for 'Footloose' on January 24, 2018 to perfect the show's choreography. Max Stover, the lead of this show, was also the title role in Patterson Mill's production of 'Macbeth.'

Skylar Cassel

Skylar Cassel

Ever since Footloose became a popular musical, schools all around the country have been putting on their own performances of it. Patterson Mill High School is doing the same on March 3, 4, and 5 and the students, both performing and viewing alike, are excited to see the hard work put into the musical. Everybody participating in the production including the cast, tech crew, and Ms. Romano have been working hard to bring this musical to life on the stage and hope to show Patterson Mill students how talented and passionate their performing peers are.  

Ali Leary, the senior that’s been involved in drama since seventh grade and is the current president of the Drama Club, is very enthusiastic about the show. Though she’s played many different roles in previous productions, such as Lady Macbeth in Macbeth, Heather McNamara in Heathers, Frenchy in Grease, and Ariel in The Little Mermaid, she stated that she’s excited to play Rusty in Footloose because she’s a “big ball of positivity” and “kind of adorable.” Her enthusiasm was clear when she stated that her advice to students considering to try out for drama productions like Footloose was, “Do it! I have never heard anyone say that they tried out and regretted it…. It’s definitely like the hidden gem of Patterson Mill, in my opinion. It’s really a great group of people and we have so many seniors that try out every year and say ‘Wow, I wish I had done this sooner.’” With the musical and blocking aspects of the show mostly completed and choreography practice beginning recently, it’s clear that, according to Ali, “[the dances are] going to be impressive and I really can’t wait to blow the school away because I feel like we haven’t done very dance-heavy shows in a long time…and I think that’s going to be a lot of fun to show to them that we’re capable.” Her passion for drama, along with other members of the cast, has been very evident as they speak about Footloose and all of the hard work being put in to it.   

Adrian Gonzalez-Ramirez, a junior in the drama company, has been acting since freshman year and participating in shows like The Sound of Music as a trumpet player in the pit, Senior Scenes 2016 as a Spanish speaker, Grease as Eugene, Senior Scenes 2017 as several characters such as Greg Pierotti, Sergeant Hing, and the Judge in The Laramie Project, and Macbeth as Banquo. He’s going to be Reverend Shaw Moore in the upcoming Footloose production and stated that “[drama is] something I really love to do…and I want to keep doing [it] in the future.” Adrian is not alone in the passion he expresses for drama that can help him get through tiring or tedious rehearsals, as the rest of the cast is passionate about what they’re doing and willing to push through bad times to put on an amazing show. He also revealed that his favorite part of being in the production is “showing my emotions through singing. That’s always a lot of fun because it’s not just the way you talk, it’s how you sing, too, how you show your emotions through that.” He revealed that the hardest part about performing in the show is most likely going to be some of the dance and singing numbers, such as the opening number, because “[it] has a lot of different parts and there’s going to be lots of different events…. It’s going to be pretty complicated and I feel like it’s going to be one of the hardest parts of the show.” However, Adrian and the rest of the cast are ready to work hard to make sure that these dancing and singing numbers will be amazing when performed on stage. 

Skylar Cassel
From left to right: Ali Leary, Kayla Iwanowski, Lizzie Gutridge, Haley Ditmar, and Sarah Lambeth practicing one of their dances for ‘Footloose’ at the rehearsal on January 24, 2018 to ensure their performance is the best it can be. Before this, they and the rest of their castmates warmed up for dance rehearsals by doing stretches.

Conner Welker, a junior on the sound crew, also has a past of helping in drama productions. He was a trumpet player in The Sound of Music, a house crew member for Senior Scenes 2016, a sound crew member for Almost, Maine and All in the Timing, and sound manager in Senior Scenes 2017, Grease, and Macbeth. He’ll take on the role of soundboard operator for Footloose and stated that “the [tech] crew always works well together because we’re all a big family.” Clearly, the tech for Footloose is being handled by the right people and will be perfected to make the show sound and look great. He explained that he enjoyed working on productions like Footloose because “you can just do…exactly what you want to do and [have] a great time doing it.” He sums up his feelings about the show when he says, “I hope it goes well and I think I’m going to have a great time and I hope everyone else has a great time, too.” His passion for tech, and the similar passion of Adrian and Ali with acting, makes it clear that Footloose won’t disappoint. 

Everybody involved in the Footloose production is working hard to bring this musical to life on the stage of Patterson Mill. On March 3, 4, and 5, the cast and crew of Footloose will present all of this hard work and practice that they’ve put in to making this show the best it can be for the enjoyment of their peers. Tickets will be sold shortly and information can be found on Edline. Everyone is encouraged to come see the hard work and practice that so many people have put in to the show. With blocking rehearsals and singing practices completed and the beginning of dancing practice, mic plotting, and discussions of the plan for the effects used in the show underway, there’s no doubt that Footloose will be an impressive production. And, as Adrian and Ali both enthusiastically said, “Come see the show!”