Best ways to give the best gifts this Valentine’s Day

Roses like these can be simple, yet a kind gift for anyone this Valentine's Day.

Photo by picjumbo.com from Pexels

Photo by picjumbo.com from Pexels

Valentine’s Day, also known as Saint Valentine’s Day, is an annual holiday commonly celebrated worldwide on February 14. On Valentine’s Day and the preceding weeks, men and women alike search stores and websites to find an interesting and unique gift to buy for the one they love. Among the most common gifts to buy are chocolate and flowers, but gift givers may be confused about which gifts are the best to purchase and which should be given. How should they be given? To help clarify this, it is important to look at what has been done in the past to find the best gifts for the future.

Since 1913, Hallmark Cards of Kansas City, Mo., has mass produced Valentines for Americans across the country. In the medieval period, knights would give roses to their maidens to compare their beauty to that of the flowers’. By the 1840s, Victorians would give elaborately made cards and presents to show their love for someone. Around this time, Richard Cadbury was working in sales at a British chocolate manufacturer. Cadbury quickly discovered the wonderful marketing opportunity chocolate could be around Valentine’s Day and decided to sell chocolate in elegant boxes that he had designed. Amina Abdulmujib, ninth grader, says that the act of simply buying a gift for someone with your own money could give the gift its significance. “My mom received a box of chocolates and flowers from my sister,” she mentions, “what made it memorable was that my sister had just gotten her first job and was able to pay for it herself.” Chocolate and flowers can be a wonderful gift for someone on Valentine’s Day, but there are several more unique and original ideas out there.

First of all, and most obvious, you need to pick someone to give the gift to. They can be a boyfriend, a girlfriend, a best friend, a crush, or whomever you’d like. Next, you need to know what that person likes. Pay close attention in conversations with this person, listening for any mentions of hobbies or interests. For example, someone who likes to draw would love a sketchbook as a gift, or a reader may like a certain book as a present. The extra effort and consideration to make the gift more unique and specific to that person will really mean more in the end. Something very important to consider when searching for the perfect thing to buy is that it might not even be a “thing” at all. Memories can end up lasting longer and meaning more than a physical item. A trip to the movies, lunch at their favorite café, or even just an evening spent together can have more significance to a person than a material object. It also allows time to get to know one another better. Noelle McWilliams, ninth grader, says that you should keep in mind to get “things that they would really appreciate, something memorable.”

Pixabay.com
Sometimes, a non-materialistic gift , like a trip to the beach with a long term lover has more significance than a materialistic one.

Another important thing to remember when buying a gift is to make sure it matches your current level of commitment to this person. For instance, renting a weekend away at the beach with your crush or someone you don’t really know too well may not be the best idea, but rather a nice set of headphones and some candy would do just fine. Sarah Myers, ninth grader, states that “‘it’s the thought that counts’ probably matters most [when] trying to find what they want [and] seeing where to find it.” She says that “it’s also important to keep in mind who you’re buying for. You’re not buying for yourself, you’re buying or making something for someone else.” If you’re feeling really confident, or just want to say a little more, you can attach a small card or message to your gift.

Whether it’s a handmade card or an index card, a little message can mean a lot and make a wonderful addition to any gift. When writing your message, consider hand writing it. Hand written messages help to show that more time and thought was put into it, rather than a quickly typed text message or DM. Next, you’ll need to know what to write. The most important thing to remember when writing your message is to say what you mean. Let this be your way of communicating how you feel about this person to them. This doesn’t necessarily have to be romantic, just honest.

Now that you’ve decided on your gift and made a lovely note to go with it, think of how you’ll present it. If you’ve chosen to buy a physical gift to give, come up with a time and place to give it to them. Although it may seem obvious, it is very important that the gift is given in person. McWilliams mentions that you should “stay with them, it’ll mean more if you’re with them as they open it.” This helps to bring everything together and lets you see their reaction to all the time and effort you’ve put into this amazing gift for them.

Any gift, no matter what, is sure to make anyone’s Valentine’s Day more memorable. As long as there’s thought and effort put behind it, a box of chocolates, flowers, handmade cards, and a day spent together, or any other unique gift will make the gift receiver happy, and you’ll both be sure to have a great Valentine’s Day.