How to prepare for the looming PARCC tests

Students+must+prepare+for+PARCC+testing+by+getting+comfortable+with+a+computer+and+figuring+out+how+to+properly+take+notes.+
Students must prepare for PARCC testing by getting comfortable with a computer and figuring out how to properly take notes.

Logan Beaty, Author

The Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) test is one of the most important tests students will encounter. The results help teachers decide what future classes the student should take, as well as help colleges evaluate the student in the future. It is time to start thinking and preparing for this nail-biting test because it is soon approaching.

One way to prepare for PARCC is to familiarize yourself with the test. There are several online sources that will provide practice tests. Practice tests are great examples of what to expect on PARCC, as they show how the tests will be structured and how one is supposed to respond to the questions.

Another way to develop PARCC skills before the test is actually given is to get comfortable using a computer. The PARCC test, like many others, is taken on a computer. If one does not know how to operate a computer system, they will have a more challenging time completing the test than if they already know the basic operations. This advice does not just apply to PARCC, it applies to several other components in life, including the workforce and future projects and tests. Currently, most occupations involve the use of a computer, so much so that elementary, middle, and high schools are now creating computer courses for their students to learn the basic skills from a young age.

The skill of dealing with the mental challenges and persevering through them is another opportunity that the PARCC tests form. There are many complex problems on the test that students have to contemplate. By having the students solve the challenging questions, it teaches them that nothing in life worth having comes easy. If they do not work through the difficult problems on the PARCC test, then their answers will be incorrect. However, if the students complete the problems with effort and determination, chances are that the answer will not be incorrect and their hard work will pay off.

It is crucial that students learn to take PARCC testing seriously and prepare accordingly for it. Knowing what to expect in advance is also very important, as it will help the student mentally prepare and organize their thoughts so they can make better use of their time during the exam.  If a student follows the above guidelines, they should find the PARCC testing to be a more comfortable and positive experience.