Filed under Reviews

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: a satisfying continuation of the franchise

Star+Wars%3A+The+Last+Jedi+is+playing+at+Regal+Cinemas+in+Bel+Air+and+Horizon+Cinemas+in+Fallston.++
Star Wars: The Last Jedi is playing at Regal Cinemas in Bel Air and Horizon Cinemas in Fallston.

pixabay.com

pixabay.com

Director Rian Johnson delivers an action and character-packed film that picks up from the end of The Force Awakens. After taking over for J.J. Abrams, Johnson is successful in bringing classic Star Wars aspects and intense adventure together for fans. 

Is this a new poll?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Released on December 15, The Last Jedi is the eighth main installment in the Star Wars franchise. The Last Jedi is a 2 hour and 35 minute film that balances action and classic Star Wars feelings so well that you don’t even notice the length. Johnson builds each character fantastically, as well as introducing new and prominent characters, along with enjoyable modern aspects.  

The presence of female actors was prevalent and important in The Last Jedi. Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) gave a captivating and strong performance that was a perfect tribute to her life and everything that she has contributed to the franchise since A New HopeRey (Daisy Ridley) played an incredibly strong character that showed constant determination. Rose (Kelly Marie Tran) was a new character that began as an underdog but, after teaming up with Finn (John Boyega), becomes an important hero in the film. Vice Admiral Holdo (Laura Dern) was a fearless character when she had to step in for Princess Leia in the fight against the First Order. Along with powerful female characters, Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) was incredibly significant and had a lot of important screen time in this installment. Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) is a classic Star Wars hero that fans have loved to see evolve since A New Hope. Other characters like Finn, Poe (Oscar Isaac), and DJ (Benicio Del Toro) played important roles in The Last Jedi. Johnson also created a complex and interesting dynamics between characters like Kylo Ren and Rey and Finn and Rose that made the audience want more.  

By starting the movie with a battle between the First Order and the Resistance, Johnson brings a great adventure for fans to enjoy. The amount of action is perfect enough to keep fans interested. The franchise prides itself in spot-on endings, and the ending of The Last Jedi didn’t disappoint with the perfect and intense way for the next episode to pick up. The special effects of the red sand during the Battle of Crait were amazing and brought a beautiful cinematic imagery to the battle. The power that both the First Order and the Resistance has in this film is also an intriguing aspect.  

Star Wars: The Last Jedi exceeded expectations for one of the biggest movie franchises. It has also set the bar high for the next episode. With captivating action and fantastic character building, The Last Jedi will not disappoint anyone who watches it.