Filed under Sports

Basketball team wins on trust

The home court for the Patterson Mill Boys JV basketball team.

Shay Aitken-Geddes

Shay Aitken-Geddes

The Patterson Mill Boys’ Junior Varsity basketball team is off to a hot start this season as they began with an undefeated streak. The team unfortunately lost their streak when they went up against the other undefeated team, Joppatowne.  Working together by communicating on the court, the players get each other’s attention and pass the ball when their teammates are ready. The boys have put in hard work for practices and games by pushing each other to work their hardest. The main key to winning each game has been the trust that the teammates have for each other. The team believes that each player is working their hardest. The boys also put forth noticeable amounts of effort in every game. 

Freshman small forward Luke Harris, a starting player on the team who is also one of the top scorers, and freshman Michael Austin agreed to be interviewed about their teams’ achievements this season. According to Luke, the team has been playing so well because they have a close bond and have good teamwork. “The reason I think we keep winning is because me and my teammates work really well together and that fortunately has gotten us the wins so far this season,” he states. There are many activities the team does to build their bond; these activities include eating sandwiches together on the bus and having a text group chat so they can get together after school. Luke adds that these activities “[help] us get closer as a team.”  

According to Luke, the team hasn’t faced any struggles yet, “but later down the road, if we do, I think we’ll still come out with the win because I trust my teammates and they trust me.” The repeated theme for this season has been the trust the teammates have for each other.  “What makes a strong team is when the whole team works together and trusts their teammates,” Luke explains. This makes sense, as Luke explained that “the game of basketball is a team sport, a team that works well together is better than a team of just good players that do not work well together.”

The games that Patterson Mill has participated in so far have been, overall, easy. There weren’t any games that the team was nervous about not winning. “We haven’t had that hard of a schedule so far but we are prepared for any team,” Luke informs. The person who leads the team to these victories is team captain Christian Pross (10) who, according to Luke, “does a great job of leading our team.” 

The JV boys’ basketball team has been working hard to have a strong team. They all get along with each other and get mad if the ball is taken away by the other team. They know that everyone makes mistakes, that it is just all part of life. They have trust in each other so that they know that, if one player makes a mistake, everyone else will be there to pick them back up. The team is expecting to go on through the playoffs to states. Even if they don’t, Luke is still proud of all of the hard work and dedication they’ve shown, such as showing up to all the games this season. “I feel great about winning these games and I’m proud of my teammates for the effort that they put out to get us those wins.”