Filed under Technology

Net neutrality: what it is and what it isn’t

Net neutrality has become a big, concerning, and controversial topic that has erupted over the past few months. However, it has also become a topic that many are uneducated about. With the sudden popularity of the net neutrality debate, many myths about it have also arisen and fake news has been spread around. Many teenagers have been exposed to this false information and have only been spreading it more, which is just another reason why the spread of this misinformation should be stopped. There should be no unnecessary stress or over-exaggeration over something that isn’t as bad as people are making it out to be.  

The first myth that many people believe is that the FCC is going to regulate the internet in ways such as what a person puts out into the internet, such pictures or text. This is not the case. If net neutrality were to be repealed, the FCC wouldn’t be regulating what everyone puts on the internet.  They would simply be providing rules and monitoring ISPs (internet service providers, which are companies like Comcast and Verizon) so that no monopolies would occur between the companies. This means that the FCC won’t be monitoring the content a person posts and telling them that they can’t post certain content. A person will still be able to post whatever they want on the internet, even if net neutrality is repealed.  

The second myth is that if net neutrality is repealed, then people will have to pay charges for things like “internet packages” to access certain websites like YouTube and Instagram. This myth has also been debunked, as the FCC website itself states that “…there are current rules in the United States that prevent bundled offerings.” This means that no one will be paying more money to access YouTube or any other favored sites. Comcast has tried this before, according to Reddit. In the past, Comcast had reportedly tried to make their customers pay more for data and internet access, but the outrage was so strong that Comcast had to stop. This means that if internet providers, such as Verizon, tried to make their customers pay more for data or internet usage in the future, they’d quickly lose business because of the outrage it would bring.  The companies would lose business and customers. No one will be paying more or dealing with the “internet packages” to access websites if net neutrality is repealed. The internet will mostly remain the same and everyone will still pay the same amount for internet access.  

A way to help spread the truth about what net neutrality really is is to simply get educated about the subject of net neutrality. Go to the www.FCC.gov and read the misconceptions of net neutrality; a simple Google search is very informative. Spreading false information about this will only make the situation worse than it really is.