Filed under World News

Boy Scouts considering accepting girls as of October 2017

A serine forest captured just before golden hour. A group of Scouts have yet to hike along its paths.

Tim Gouw

Tim Gouw

In today’s society some people believe that women should focus on homemaking skills and aren’t capable enough to do what is considered masculine. As of October 2017, Boy Scouts have been considering allowing girls to join. Girls should be allowed to join Boy Scouts, having the same opportunities that boys are given.

One of the thing Girl Scouts is known for is teaching girls to do things such as bake and sew. Although these are good for girls to know, it should also focus more on hikes and camping. Although some Girl Scouts go on hikes, it might not be as intense or as strenuous as hikes Boy Scouts go on. Unfortunately, Girl Scouts doesn’t have as much funding to go to different locations for more survival skill focuses.  For example, a Boy Scout Troop that’s part of a local LDS Church, took a trip to Philmont, New Mexico. They were part of a High Adventure group that hiked over 50 miles in Philmont’s rugged wilderness. Some Boy Scouts have the funding they need to travel throughout the country and hike in beautiful places. Girls are missing out on these opportunities just because of their gender and shouldn’t be denied acceptance to Boy Scouts.

In the early 1900s, girls’ main roles were to cook, clean, and sew. With Girl Scouts being founded in 1912, it influences what they choose to do today, by focusing more on the homemaking skills. Since the 1900s, things have changed, in this day and age, girls have the option to no longer become “stay at home moms.” Women can become doctors and lawyers if they choose, and some women can be “stay at home moms” which is good, too. Girl Scouts could change its image from cookie sellers to adventurers. However, until that happens, girls will still feel the need to join Boy Scouts in order to truly explore and learn survival skills.

Another big issue is that Girl Scouts don’t have an Eagle Scout award. They do have a Gold Award, but it is not nearly as well-known as the Eagle Scout distinction. When applying to colleges, having the Eagle Scout Award might give someone the upper hand. Girls not being allowed to even be given the opportunity to earn one is partial and very one-sided. Sydney Ireland, a teenage girl from New York, states her thoughts on Boy Scouts allowing girls,“ I just want to do what the Boy Scouts do — earn the merit badges and earn the Eagle Award,” she told NBC News. “The Girl Scouts is a great organization, but it’s just not the program that I want to be part of. I think girls should just have the opportunity to be a member of any organization they want regardless of gender.” While some girls are content with homemaking skills, others want more. They want to learn survival tactics and earn awards for doing things besides selling the most cookies. If Girl Scouts can’t give them those opportunities, then why should they be denied by the Boy Scouts just because of their gender?

Girls have proven that they are just as strong and more than capable to go beyond what today’s society thinks girls can do. They should be able to not only become experts at homemaking skills, but also at survival skills. Girls should be able to join Boy Scouts and break the gender stereotypes that limit them.