Filed under World News

Move over millennials, Generation Z is here

At+Patterson+Mill+on+a+Monday+afternoon%2C+a+room+filled+with+high+school+Generation+Z+students+are+learning+French.+Generation+Z+students+are+the+most+technologically+advanced+students+yet.+
At Patterson Mill on a Monday afternoon, a room filled with high school Generation Z students are learning French. Generation Z students are the most technologically advanced students yet.

Shannon Aitken-Geddes from Paw Prints

Shannon Aitken-Geddes from Paw Prints

For many years, millennials, those born between the 80’s and 90’s, seemed to be the main focus of industries and media due to the reputation this generation has of being lazy and immature. But the newest generation, called Generation Z is here, those born between 2000 and today, and it is not one to be ignored. Generation Z makes up the whole population of Patterson Mill High School and this new generation with bring more to the future than ever before.

Since the people of Generation Z have been familiar with technology from a young age, this generation will be the most technologically advanced and knowledgeable one so far. According to George Beall from the huffingpost.com, unlike Millennials, members of Generation Z are able to multitask and concentrate at a better rate than ever. Having access to phones, tablets, laptops, internet, and tv, all at the same time from such a young age, allows them to be able to do work efficiently while having other distractions around them. For example, it’s easier for someone in Generation Z to type a document on a laptop, research on a phone, and watch TV at the same time, than it is for someone who is a Millennial. This is because Millennials knew life before technology and have had to adjust to it as it advances, but those in Generation Z have known it since they were young and it comes naturally to them because they have lived the majority of their life with it.

As each generation goes by, all of them change in many different ways. When it comes to work ethic, independence, and future plans, those in Generation Z tend to have a different perspective than Millennials and previous generations. According to bncollege.com, 89% of Generation Z rated a college education valuable, and 82% are planning on going to college directly after high school. Since those in Generation Z have had access to technology at such a young age, and are able to get information in the matter of seconds, they’re able to process information and learn at a much quicker pace, making people in Generation Z great students. Forty percent of Generation Z seek jobs that apply to their specific interests and tend to be more technological. Also, those in Generation Z, especially the younger teens, lean towards entrepreneurial jobs. More than one third of them have already had a business or are planning on making one, and those who are 13-15 today are twice as likely to create their own business in the future compared to older teens today.

This generation is the largest and most diverse out of all the other generations. According to Anne Loehr for anneloehr.com, Generation Z is 55% Caucasian, 24% Hispanic, 14% African American, 4% Asian, and 4% mixed race or other, and it makes up 27% of the population of USA. This generation is more ethnically diverse and more liberal concerning social issues. 75% of Generation Z support same sex marriage, 76% are concerned with global warming, and one third of them strongly agree that gender does not define a person as much as it used to, compared to only the 28% of Millennials who feel the same way. Generation Z is also the most open-minded and accepting generation so far when it comes to social issues and media, making them more likely to create a better environment for minorities and other people who weren’t as accepted in previous generations.

A new generation that fills the halls of Patterson Mill is here and is immensely different from any other generation that has come before them. Generation Z is the youngest, largest, most diverse, independent, and open-minded generation to come, and should not be ignored. After all the changes and advances members of Generation Z have experienced from a young age, they will be able to make radically positive changes in the future like no other generation has ever before.