Filed under Sports

Girls basketball: freshmen take over

Head coach Joe Holehouse preps the team during a timeout in the second quarter to discuss what changes need to be made in order to earn a win against Bo Manor

Mitch Lebovic

Mitch Lebovic

Patterson Mill Girls Varsity Basketball team plans on building skills and working together in every way in order to achieve their goal to play in the state championship game this year. With one of the largest amounts of starting varsity freshmen, their goals are set high and they are increasing their effort everyday in practice and outside of practice.

The Girls Varsity Basketball team is beginning their season with a 1-9 record. This year the Girls Varsity team starts with an overall count of 5 freshman and 4 juniors with the loss of last year’s juniors that did not return to play this year and no sophomore players at all. The loss of last year’s players impacted the team in a couple different ways. “This year we are going to try our best in every game we play, but since we are a team of all freshmen and 4 juniors its going to be a challenge,” said Varsity Freshmen player Lindsey Tolliver (guard). The girls are giving their all and full effort in every game in any way they can. The team continues to work on shooting drills to improve form, run over their plays to practice their skills for the game and work on their layups to help them to maintain the same mindset and have the skill as most of the seniors and upperclassmen they play. Even with long practices and cooperation there are still many girls in their senior year that are drastically more experienced

Going forth into the basketball season with the win of only two games, the team understood that changes needed to be made in order to win more games. As a team Lindsey Tolliver also states “we are learning a lot of new plays to adapt to the game like learning new offenses, form shooting, and recapping on a lot of the fundamentals but most importantly were sticking together as a team.” The girls basketball team is improving their work habits and increasing the amount of drills that they are doing in practice with no problem at all because the girls have “been playing together for years on travel teams since they were very young” said freshman varsity player Delaney Madsen (forward)  which makes it much easier to overcome tough obstacles when it comes to game time  because they have become so comfortable with each other and feel as if they could take on anything that comes their way, whether they lose or win.

With a limited number of players, long practices and an increasing amount of losses the girls continue to work hard towards their goal and will remain confident and determined in every game they play. The girls continue to build as a team everyday with the help of a strong friendship and continuous love whether they win or lose.