67% of students reading this have cheated on a test

A student uses their resources to complete an assignment. According to www.commonsensemedia.org, more than one third of students admitted to using cell phones to cheat on a test. 75% of parents state students use their cellphones to cheat but only 3% of their child using their cellphone during assesments.

Patterson Mill High School has many brilliant students, but administration fails to acknowledge that many of these students need more time than in homeroom to communicate with their teachers and develop a better understanding of their subjects. Because of the limited extra time students have for asking questions and further study of their subjects, students feel compelled to cheat on their tests. The students cheat because they believe a test is unfair or their teachers did not prepare them well enough.

In contrast, many school officials may argue that the students ought to use their time in homeroom or go after school to speak with their teachers. However, homeroom is only 15 minutes long which is not nearly enough time for a student to learn difficult material they may have missed or not have fully understood during class. Furthermore, students may need additional help with multiple courses and they will not have enough time to meet with all their teachers.

In addition, many students are unable to meet with teachers after school hours because students participate in extracurricular activities such as sports and clubs or they must be at their bus immediately after school ends. Students, who wish to remain anonymous, shared their experiences on how and why they cheated on their last assessment. All of the reasons stemmed from the students feeling as if they were not prepared for their assessment.

The first student stated that the last assessment they cheated on was a quiz on the first few chapters of The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. The student “wasn’t there when they read the first two chapters.”  Then, the student said their teacher did not allow them to take the book home. Their teacher did, however, give them time to catch up in class, but the student chose not to do that because of other work they were asked to finish.

Another student admitted to cheating on a recent test in government. The student stated, “Nobody was ready for the test and so I had a little cheat-sheet.” The student felt as if no other student was prepared for the assessment and it was was unfair to test the students on information they did not fully understand.

In a survey of 24,000 students at 70 high schools, Donald McCabe from Rutgers University found that 64 percent of students admitted to cheating on a test. Such a large percentage would lessen if the students had more time during the school day to devote themselves to studying. Therefore, students, parents, and teachers, in a collaborative attempt, should advocate for students to have an extra period during the school day to enhance student and teacher communication.  The extra time will come from cutting 15 minutes from each class n order to create a one hour long study hall. There ought to be two different study halls to prevent students from meeting with a group of friends and never focusing on their work or speaking with their teachers. The periods will be at the beginning of the day and the end.  This solution would ensure a student’s better understanding of their subjects for academic success.