How to plan for the PARCC test terror

In order to do well on the PARCC tests, students must study a ton. They must go threw all of their past notes and textbooks

pixabay.com

pixabay.com

The Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) test is one of the most important tests students will encounter. The results help teachers decide what future classes the student should take and help colleges evaluate the student. It is time to start thinking and preparing for this nail-biting test because it is soon approaching.

One way to prepare for PARCC is to familiarize yourself with the test. There are several online sources that will provide practice tests. Practice tests are great examples of what to expect on PARCC by seeing how the tests will be structured and how one is supposed to respond to the questions.

Another way to develop PARCC skills before the test is actually given, is to get comfortable using a computer. The PARCC test, like many others, is taken on a computer. If one does not know how to operate a computer system, they will have a more challenging time completing the test than if they already know the basic operations. This advice does not just apply to PARCC, it applies to several other components in life including the workforce and future projects and tests. Currently, most occupations involve the use of a computer, so much so that elementary, middle, and high schools are now creating computer courses for their students to learn the basic skills from a young age. Taylor Marcin, a freshman believes that students like computer PARCC more because, “our generation is technologically driven so [a computer version of ] PARCC just adds to this.” She personally prefers taking the computerized PARCC test versus the written PARCC test.

stock.tookapic.com

Looking over previous notes and recording the most important is valuable and helpful to study

Dealing with the mental challenges and persevering through them is another skill that the PARCC tests creates. There are many complex problems on the test that students have to contemplate. By having the students solve the challenging questions, it teaches them that nothing in life worth having comes easy. If they do not work through the difficult problems on the PARCC test, their answers will be incorrect. However, if the students complete the problem with effort and determination, chances are that the answer will not be incorrect.

Some tips that Marcin suggested are to “review the past and previous notes for that subject that [one] was taking the PARCC test for.”  For example, if taking the English PARCC, review English notes that one took that current year and past years before the day of the test so one has a whole range of knowledge for the test.  Ms. Selznick, an Algebra 2 and Pre-calculus teacher, suggested to “read the directions carefully during the test to determine whether the question asks for one answer or says “select all that apply.”’ Plus, when taking a math PARCC, train the brain to answer non-calculator questions, because not all questions on the PARCC test need a calculator. Her last suggestions were to get a good night’s sleep for a week or so before the test, drink plenty of water, and eat a nutritious breakfast the morning of the test.

It is crucial that students learn to take PARCC testing seriously and prepare for it accordingly. Knowing what to expect in advance is also very important because it will help the student mentally prepare and organize their thoughts, making better use of their time during the exam.  If a student follows the above guidelines, they should find the PARCC testing to be a more comfortable and positive experience.