Filed under School Community

Drama club avoids the typical drama

Abby Shefcheck, Evan Loveless, Quinn Nowakowski, Shane Ross, Mrs. Brockmeyer, Ali Leary, Grayson Mallon, Lizzie Gutridge, Sarah Lambeth, and Adrian Gonzalez-Ramirez. The cast of the play Macbeth.  Taking time at the end of each rehearsal to reflect on how to improve is one of the benefits of participating in drama.

Abby Shefcheck, Evan Loveless, Quinn Nowakowski, Shane Ross, Mrs. Brockmeyer, Ali Leary, Grayson Mallon, Lizzie Gutridge, Sarah Lambeth, and Adrian Gonzalez-Ramirez. The cast of the play Macbeth. Taking time at the end of each rehearsal to reflect on how to improve is one of the benefits of participating in drama.

The drama program has a positive effect on individuals in Patterson Mill that are involved by helping them build friendships, letting them have fun, and helping them overcome shyness. At Patterson Mill High School, there are many opportunities offered to students when it comes to the drama program. Students can join a production and act or work backstage; or they could just join the drama class, which offers students a Fine Art credit. In general, the program improves social skills and helps people branch out and try new things. 

Social relationships are an important part of high school student’s life. Without social skills and relationships, students often feel alone because they feel as if they can’t relate to people and they don’t know how to start conversation. If improved, these skills and relationships can impact their mental health in a positive way. They help keep social anxiety under control. In many classes, there are projects that involve group work and interacting with others, but in drama class and drama productions, individuals are surrounded by people giving them honest feedback and they’re constantly around people with whom they can build strong relationships. People are able to be 100% themselves and often feel like they’re not being judged on who they are. They are really able to come out of their comfort zone. They shed the fear of trying something new, maybe something they have never experienced or have any knowledge of. Adrian Gonzalez Ramirez (11), had no plan on pursuing drama, but after participating and acting in the drama program at Patterson Mill, he changed his path for the future. He realized that he wants to do this for a living because he loves it so much and when asked if he would’ve felt the same way without Patterson Mill’s drama program he stated, “No, definitely not. I wouldn’t be doing this without Patterson and the friends that I’ve been acting with.” His friends encouraged him to join in the first place. He added that in these productions, you build a family because of how much time you spend with each person. The drama program is very important and without it, some people might not feel as connected to what they’re doing. It helps improve self- confidence because it helps young people understand how to appraise situations and get comfortable in uncomfortable situations.  

Val Ziegler, Nick Vach, Lizzie Gutridge, and Sarah Lambeth. It’s no surprise that drama kids are pretty creative, especially when it comes to Halloween!  Alycia Ocampo, not pictured, won for Best Overall Costume.  She came dressed as Marty McFly in Back to the Future 2.

Mrs. Brockmeyer, the PMHS drama teacher, started teaching drama in 2002. She was first introduced to drama when she was in high school, but she admits she was too shy to participate. It wasn’t until she was a senior in college that she actually got up the nerve to perform. When asked why she decided to pursue it into her career, she stated “It is fun. It’s as simple as that. It lets people break out of their shell and make friendships.”  Mrs. Brockmeyer feels that she has a strong bond with those in the drama program because they have to take risks and she gets to witness that. She also knows that the students can trust her more because she’s witnessing them doing things they might have never done before. Most people think that the drama class is all about acting, Mrs. Brockmeyer stated that that’s not the only part of it. In the drama class, acting only takes up half the year, the other half of the year, they work on learning the history, improv, mime, and choreography. It opens up the student’s imagination because being creative and learning to make choices based on creativity, helps students get better at coming up with new ideas and it allows them to look at the world around them in a new way. The drama program is also an emotional outlet for students. Acting and drama allows students to express a range of emotions and make it easier to understand similar feelings, and how to deal with them. Anger, tension, and sadness are released in a safe, controlled environment.  

The drama program at Patterson Mill High School offers opportunities and helps students branch out, it improves self-confidence and acts as an emotional outlet for those that need it. It gets people to break out of their shell and improve social skills. The drama club is not all about performing, they have monthly events such as Halloween and Christmas parties. It is obvious that this program is very important and has made a positive impact on some people at this school.