Filed under Sports

Hudl Technique app helps improve athletes performance

Alexandra Holzinger (grade 6) works with her coach to analyze sit spin technique. She is working on getting better a position to rotate faster.

Carla Holzinger

Hudl Technique is a great app for athletes and coaches to record their actions and then break down technique to improve performance. It can be used in over 40 sports, is completely free, and available in 8 different languages. For Patterson Mill, this app could help improve sports team records and allow athletes to refine their skills.

Athletes looking to enhance their performance will find the Hudl Technique app to be extremely helpful. First they can record or import a video of their action such as swinging a baseball bat or kicking a soccer ball, and then choose the speed they want to view it in. Athletes and coaches can watch it in regular speed, 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 speed. You can review your actions in as many as 240 frames per second, making errors in technique more evident and allowing athletes to see themselves instead of just hearing feedback.

Users can draw lines and shapes to help highlight mistakes, enrich the coach’s criticism, and create more in depth lessons. Angles can also be drawn and measured in videos to help students visualize their actions. The app also allows users to zoom in and out of the videos. These features are beneficial in many sports because instructors can show their student what they are doing wrong rather than trying to verbally explain it.

Another way the app benefits athletes and coaches is users can compare their videos to pro athletes, videos uploaded by the community, or their own previous recordings to track and improve performance. Once they have watched and edited their video they can share it with coaches, teammates, and the community by messaging or posting it. When training alone and not with instructors it is extremely helpful because they can get input back on their technique from others. Athletes and coaches can also leave comments on other’s posts, watch their videos in any speed, and use all the other tools but can’t edit the actual video posted.

Mr. Mohr, Harford Technical High School physical therapist and Sports Medicine teacher, experimented with the app and now is considering using it as his primary app to analyze run form. He says that, unlike other slow motion apps, “Hudl Technique allows for the addition of lines and angles to be illustrated on the video.” This lets coaches and athletes to analysis the bio-mechanical errors of their movements in greater detail.

Overall, the Hudl Technique App is the perfect free app for coaches and athletes looking to improve their technique. Between having many features and being adaptable for over 40 sports, it is a great app for breaking down and analyzing athlete’s skills