Filed under Editorial

Scouts unite making one new organization

A+peaceful+forest+full+of+all+different+kinds+of+life.+The+forest+has+yet+to+be+traveled+by+scouts%2C+but+will+soon+be+explored%2C+as+they+brave+their+next+new+adventure.+
A peaceful forest full of all different kinds of life. The forest has yet to be traveled by scouts, but will soon be explored, as they brave their next new adventure.

In the early 1900s, girls’ main roles was to cook, clean, and sew. With Girl Scouts being founded in 1912, it has negatively influenced what the Girl Scouts choose to do today by focusing more on the homemaking skills. Since the 1900s, things have changed, in this day and age, girls have the option to no longer become “stay at home moms.” Women can become doctors and lawyers if they choose, and some women can be “stay at home moms” which is good, too. Girl Scouts could change its image from cookie sellers to adventurers. Girl Scouts should join with Boy Scouts to create a group that truly explores the great outdoors and learns survival skills, instead of remaining a separate organization.

Both Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts teach leadership and responsibility, but through different ways. The Boy Scouts main focus is teaching survival skills through the great outdoors while the Girl Scouts is known for more homemaking skills. Both, however, need to change their image to adapt to how society has changed. In an article from CBS news in Saborn, Virginia, a scout troop leader, talked about how the scouts should change their image from the “…Green shorts, long socks, helping an old lady cross the street suburban white image…to an image that includes all race and genders.” Both Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts can change their image for the better. Boy scouts and girl scouts work hand in hand, by taking the homemaking skills from Girl Scouts, and the survival skills from Boy Scouts, it can create one organization to benefit everyone.

A Boy Scout Troop that’s part of a local LDS Church, took a trip to Philmont, New Mexico. They were part of a High Adventure group that hiked over 50 miles in Philmont’s rugged wilderness. Some Boy Scouts have the funding they need to travel throughout the country and hike in beautiful places. Girls are missing out on these opportunities just because of their gender and shouldn’t be denied acceptance to Boy Scouts. The Girl Scout’s most well known fundraiser is selling cookies. All of the money raised stays local, which can be a good thing, but it also doesn’t ensure that a higher organization, such as High Adventure, gets money that can be used for hiking or other outdoors activities.

Another big issue is that Girl Scouts don’t have an Eagle Scout Award. They do have a Gold Award, but it is not nearly as well-known as the Eagle Scout distinction. When applying to colleges, having the Eagle Scout Award might give someone the upper hand. In order to earn a Gold Award, the girl must create a seven step plan on a way to improve the community. On the other hand, it is more challenging to earn an Eagle Scout Award. The Boy Scout must have every other rank completed, each with various requirements, earn at least 21 merit badges, have recommendations from scout leaders saying they live by the Scout Oath, and have a project proposal which must be approved by the Eagle Scout board of review. The many more requirements needed to earn an Eagle Scout award as opposed to the Gold Award makes the Eagle Scout Award more prestigious than the Gold Award. Sydney Ireland, a teenage girl from New York, states her thoughts on Boy Scouts allowing girls, “I just want to do what the Boy Scouts do — earn the merit badges and earn the Eagle Award,” she told NBC News. “The Girl Scouts is a great organization, but it’s just not the program that I want to be part of. I think girls should just have the opportunity to be a member of any organization they want regardless of gender.” When combined, it will solve this problem and give everyone equal rights to earn awards.

With society changing its views, both Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts need to change their image. Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts work hand in hand, and it’s about time Scouting got rid of the labels and became one accepting organization devoted to teaching children life skills.