Good vibes at open mic night

Students+of+all+ages+have+the+opportunity+to+express+themselves.+
Students of all ages have the opportunity to express themselves.

Heather Sieracki

Heather Sieracki

Open mic night is new tradition here at Patterson Mill High School. It’s a great place where people can get together and share their love of the arts. Some students chose to sing, read poetry, or play an instrument. Anyone can attend and anyone can perform.

This inclusive event was started by an Art teacher, Mr. Craig Lewellyn. When asked about open mic night and where it all started, he says he got the idea when he saw an article about how students do open mic nights and things of that nature. He worked at Landsdown High School at the time. “Because I’ve always played music, I’ve always liked the idea of open mic nights at a high school. I’ve always been a musician, but I’ve never been in music classes and I think a lot of people fall into that category.” Open mic night is a way to bring the students together and encourage them to express the parts of themselves that they usually don’t get to express in school. When asked if he thinks the music and arts department is valued less in this school than other departments Lewellyn states that, “getting the addition of two new teachers, like myself and Mrs. C, created the opportunity for there to be a lot of change (in the art department).”

The energy that’s present during open mic night is amazing. Students were cheering on other students who were a little nervous or on-edge about performing. Students of all grade levels came together to share their love of the arts. The crowd went crazy after every act. Some people sang with passion and emotion and others got up on stage and sang to make everyone laugh. There is absolutely no judgment in the room. No matter what you do students and teachers alike, will support you.

Emily Marziale (11) decided to show off her talent of singing and playing the ukulele. Emily says, “I think it’s a great way, for not only musical students, but for everyone to express themselves.” Emily also accompanied student Grayson Mallon (10) on the uke and then sang again with Erin Loveless (10). She says, “It’s a laid back and care free vibe.”

The night started off with Noelle McWilliams (9) singing and playing the guitar. She had some guitar malfunctions at first, but after that she sang beautifully. The crowd went wild for her. Up next was Brendon Gray. He played his own guitar tune and thanked his producer, Carson Dizel Gray. They record their own songs. Brendon says he, “felt nervous, but it feels good.” He’s, “usually very quiet.”  Liz Tilley sang “The Story so Far” while playing guitar. She says she’s never played in front of people before. Tony Marsee sang “Can’t Help Falling in Love.” Evan Loveless, Pat Finnerty, Elise Alders and Liz Tilley improvised an ‘interesting’ song they called “Freezing my Eggs.”  Next up was Dominic Nelson and Ali Leary singing “Valerie.” Dominic was on guitar and Ali on vocals. Her powerful voice shook the crowd. An unforgettable act of the night was when Tony Marsee and Raul Puga stole the show with their a cappela version of A-Ha’s “Take on Me.” Raul hit that classic high note every time. His voice made him and the audience crack up.

Open mic night was needless to say, amazing. The vibe at the show is so care free and accepting and there’s really no limits as to what you can do. You should consider stopping by next time if you want to have a good time with good people.  The next open mic is scheduled for some time in May 2018.

1 Comment

One Response to “Good vibes at open mic night”

1. Olivia Peters on March 20th, 2018 10:02 pm

This was a fun read! I really like the photo you used for the cover.

[Reply]

*

• Good vibes at open mic night

Ms. C expanding creativity in her class and beyond

• Good vibes at open mic night

The Rockin’ 80’s Return

• Good vibes at open mic night

Watch out Aries and Taurus, April is to be an interesting month

• Good vibes at open mic night

Horoscopes

• Good vibes at open mic night

Quantity improves quality in men’s chorus

• Good vibes at open mic night

Best ways to give the best gifts this Valentine’s Day

• Good vibes at open mic night

Macbeth: After the curtain came down

• Good vibes at open mic night

Footloose: from movie, to musical, to PMHS

• Good vibes at open mic night

Valentine’s Day: Creative ways to show you care

• Good vibes at open mic night

‘Footloose’ cast, crew thrilled to put on incredible show

Good vibes at open mic night