Filed under Technology

The train of Netflix flattens cable

Netflix is used everyday and everywhere on varieties of devices. Netflix is beginning to take over everyday cable with a continuously increasing number of subscribers

pexels.com

pexels.com

The death of TV may be happening before our eyes. A new report from tracking firm Nielson, shows that TV is still by far America’s favorite entertainment source, but people are spending more hours using websites or streaming services and still a growing number of households are choosing to get rid of TV altogether.

Netflix, the most popular online TV streaming website, is taking over your everyday television. Forty percent of all US households with a TV use a subscription video on demand service like Netflix according to HuffPost newspaper. With Netflix becoming more and more popular throughout the world on social medias, within society and with its new additions of movies and shows, every week people of all ages have turned over joining the 50+ million other subscribers leaving regular cable with only 45 million subscribers.

Switching over to Netflix has many advantages, the first being how you can watch any movie you want anytime and anywhere. Netflix is accessible on any device including: Smart TVs, Streaming Media Players, Game Consoles, Set-top Boxes, Blu-ray Players, Smartphones & Tablets, PCs & Laptops which is very useful being that trying to carry around your TV would be pretty hard. The prices of Netflix are also very affordable starting from $9.99-$13.99 a month while owning regular cable costs at least $100 dollars a month. On the downside, Netflix does have a few disadvantages.  Netflix may offer many movie and Netflix original shows like the shows “Stranger Things,” “13 reasons why,” and “Riverdale” that had everyone talking and interested as soon as it was released, but providing the newest and live content is not possible. Cable offers many different channels with live sports events like ESPN football games and the Olympics that you couldn’t get on Netflix. The news channels such as WBAL and FOX news also are not included. Cable has and will always beat any streaming services with the definite access to any news channel.

With Netflix having a larger amount of subscribers than cable, it was put to the test to see how many students use cable or Netflix and maybe even both. Out of a total of 58 students in 7th and 8th grade only 18% admitted to just using Netflix.  20%  do not use Netflix at all and 55% use both Netflix and cable.  Only 13% use just cable. With these results, it is observable that Netflix as a whole is commonly used whether combined with cable or not. Freshman Maria Hagepanos states that “Netflix is like movie night every night because I can find movies and TV shows that are not on regular (cable) TV and take it anywhere I want to go,” expressing that with the boundless number of TV shows, movies, podcasts and the additional feature of being able to watch anywhere at anytime, “every night” if they wanted to, Maria Hagepanos then went on to say that, “it’s like special TV for our generation,” because so many people of today’s generation that have influenced the use of this streaming service continue to use this and promote this throughout all different kinds of media and passing down the idea of using this service to younger generations that will carry it on for longer years to come.

Cable and Netflix continue to battle for first place, but Netflix’s train of new and updated features have more and more people of this generation interested, and will soon flatten Cable altogether. Cable will always be the first original TV show and movie streaming service, but with Netflix’s new shows and movies that are added every single day, it should be no problem to turn those disadvantages to an advantage in no time. People of this generation could soon forget why cable was even used in the first place and have Netflix completely dominate cable.