Filed under Health, Showcase

Outbreak of senioritis

Back to Article
Back to Article

Outbreak of senioritis

This sickly scene of senioritis in Mr. May's homeroom is spreading faster than ever. Sean Pencook (12), Mia Sherwood (11), and Evan Loveless (12)

Watch out! Paw Prints wants to warn the seniors of Patterson Mill about the rapid spreading plague of senioritis. This medical outbreak is causing students to lack motivation which is leading towards a downward slope in academic achievements just before graduation.

Senioritis is a medical condition that affects students in their final year of high school, characterized by the decline in motivation or performance. This a very serious disease affecting many seniors, and the outcome could cost people their college success. According to ivycoach.com, low grades, withdraw from extracurricular activities, abnormal social behavior, and a desire to wear sweatshirts and sweatpants more frequently, are a result of this illness. There are many ways to help deal with senioritis, but there still has not been a clear cure. The only medication that has been recommended is a positive graduation.

Some of the symptoms that a student may have are:

• Loss of hand mobility when having to turn off electronics/TV
  • Short term memory loss regarding project due dates
  • Inability to do homework until the very last minute
  • Lack of motivation
  • Extreme boredom and restlessness when sitting in a classroom
  • Excessive desire to skip class
  • Drastic increase in Netflix consumption
  • Hallucinations about college life
  • Feeling superior (large ego)
  • Increased irritability
  • Impatience for long class periods

If you or anyone you know has these symptoms please consult your school counselor, teacher, parent or guardian for help. Suffering from senioritis is an unfortunate illness that, when left untreated, could cause a bad outcome for the last and final semester of one’s senior year. In some cases, says nyc.edu, colleges don’t receive the final grades until the months right before summer break, so if the grades become very different compared to previous reports, colleges might decline a student application or their position in the school.  Not willing to do work or the absence of effort can result in a harder transition from high school to college. Ryan Iacaruso, a senior diagnosed with senioritis says, “…just not wanting to do homework or feel like studying,” is his most common symptom.

Not being aware of what’s happening in school could also cost people special high school memories that can’t be experienced again. Although many students connect during senior year due to their sharing of the illnesses, it can have both positive and negative effects. Some kids might fear that they will miss out on school events or that their brain will start to close and they will not be able to learn anything from their favorite class. Although, many students love the feeling of having less responsibility and joking around with their diseased friends during class. “I would not want a cure because I like the anticipation for graduation, it’s exciting to think about how far I’ve come since freshman year,” says senior Kelly DeLawder happily. Both Kelly and Ryan agree that senioritis seems to appear sooner than expected. Kelly says for her the symptoms appeared the first day of senior year and Ryan felt his symptoms started around December break. Senioritis symptoms and time appearances can vary depending on the student. AP Psychology teacher, Mr. May, emotionally exclaims, “Get back on track, get that motivation back, because again, you’re going to need it in college because college is a lot harder than high school….if you’re going with that ‘slack off’ mentality… it’s going to eat you alive.”

How many of these senioritis symptoms do you suffer from?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Agreeing with website middleearthnj.com, some students say it is the school boredom or the burnout of having to go to school for all those years, but no matter what the situation is, it is in the best interest for the students of Patterson Mill to get this epidemic under control.

1 Comment

One Response to “Outbreak of senioritis”

1. Olivia Peters on March 20th, 2018 9:55 pm

I really enjoy what you guys write and do for our school! This article was awesome. I literally laughed out loud!

*

• Health

Mrs. C raising awareness on Ehlers Danlos Syndrome

• Outbreak of senioritis

Health

Fad diets aren’t fab

• Outbreak of senioritis

Health

Vegetarianism 101: Recipes for trying a plant based diet

• Outbreak of senioritis

Health

The truth about schizophrenia; splitting fact from fiction

• Outbreak of senioritis

Health

Healthy snacks have negative effects on students

• Outbreak of senioritis

Health

Finding the medication for mood disorders within the student body

• Outbreak of senioritis

Health

Recognizing the weight of depression

• Outbreak of senioritis

Health

Overcoming the risks of cheerleading

• Outbreak of senioritis

Health

Harford County schools have morning times all wrong

• Outbreak of senioritis

Health

Let’s dish about lunch regulations

Outbreak of senioritis