Filed under Personal Profiles

Bailey and Phillips learning the lay of the land

Mr. Bailey is helping freshman, Aimee Wilson with an advanced math question.  This is Ms. Bailey's fifth year of teaching.

Mr. Bailey is helping freshman, Aimee Wilson with an advanced math question. This is Ms. Bailey's fifth year of teaching.

Shay Aitken-Geddes

Shay Aitken-Geddes

Teachers play important roles in school, teachers have so many responsibilities in the classroom, Mrs. Phillips and Ms. Bailey are new teachers this year at Patterson Mill High School and they both had to learn the rules of the school and the schedule. Both teachers have come from another school, they had to learn how this school has different rules and expectations for, not just students but teachers too.

Mrs. Phillips was a French teacher in Pennsylvania for two years, then in Dundalk for six years and North Harford as a sub for one year. She had to teach differently at this school because her last school was middle school. Mrs. Phillips said that, at this school, she needs to keep students motivated to learn, which is a relief from one of her past schools’ where she had to make sure the students weren’t vandalizing the school property. Mrs. Phillips also said that it was a big change from each school because of the difference of the environment; one was a city school, another was in a suburban area school. Mrs. Phillips said that flexibility, organization, creativity, understanding and patience are all qualities of a good teacher. She had great teachers when she was in school that inspired her to be a teacher. Her main focus when teaching is to have the students engaged in the lessons and to have the students being able to communicate and work well together. Mrs. Phillips is also in charge of the French National Honor Society, which is for the students who have taken all four years of French and are very interested in the language and the country. She had help from parents at this school, if a student was able to focus or had some issue in the class, Mrs. Phillips would talk to the parents about the situation and they were very nice to her and they were willing to hear what she had to say unlike some of her past schools.

Ms. Bailey has taught at Edgewood for the last four years and she is a math teacher for high school. She said that a great strategy for teaching is to reflect back on her lessons and improve from them and that is one of her strengths. This year she said that she needed to be more creative and have more group activities for the students to interact and participate in the activities. “Being flexible, being fair and getting engaged with the lessons,” are all part of qualities of a good teacher, said Ms. Bailey. Having good teacher’s in high school and liking math were what inspired Mrs. Bailey to be a teacher. She will be getting her master’s degree this year.

It was hard for both of these teachers to move to a new school, they had to learn new lessons and new teaching methods but they worked out the problems by talking to other teachers and just learning as they go along. The teachers also had to come up with lessons that are interesting for the students that will make them engage with the lessons.