Filed under Reviews

Black Panther: Marvel’s Money Maker

Who would have predicted that the Black Panther would have grossed more money in the opening weekend than any other Marvel movie apart from The Avengers? On opening weekend, this motion picture amassed an astronomical $201.8 million nationally. 

This futuristic, sci-fi, superhero movie is one the most awe-inspiring movies out of the Marvel series. The Black Panther comes from a fictional, hidden nation called Wakanda in East Africa. It is full of valuable and extremely dangerous metal called Vibranium. This element is so dangerous because of its destructive powers and its protective abilities. Due to possessing this resource with energy manipulating qualities, Wakanda is wealthy and technologically advanced. Part of the movie’s emotional and visual appeal lies in the fact that this country has never been colonized. 

Black Panther also featured a predominantly black cast, including award-winning actors Michael B. Jordan as antagonist Erik Killmonger and Chadwick Boseman as protagonist T’Challa/Black Panther.  These two compelling figures dazzled the screen by their own differing convictions, backgrounds, and aspirations.  Jordan adroitly captured the anger that Killmonger felt toward Black Panther and his colony while Boseman did an excellent job of conveying the wide range of emotions Black Panther experienced.  Academy Award winning actress Lupita Nyong-o played Nakia, an ally of Black Panther, interacted powerfully with both male leads.  Two other legendary actors, Forest Whitaker and Angela Bassett, played convincing roles on the big screen. 

It was evident that there was particular care given to the creativity of the scenery and the visually-stimulating background. The most astounding scene I witnessed was when Black Panther gets his powers back and encounters his deceased father with the breath-taking savanna as the surrounding landscape.  

There are numerous positive elements of this feature film.  Excessive vulgar language and explicit material were not a distraction toward the enjoyment of the film which made it appropriate for the targeted audience. Before we forget, Black Panther is still a superhero flick, so essentially it was created for 10-year-olds, but certainly adults are intrigued by this masterpiece. 

Consistent action-packed scenes from Los Angeles to Wakanda to South Korea gave the movie an unexpected variety.  Black Panther and his girlfriend had a desire to share their wealth and offer foreign aid to those tribes that are less fortunate. The only critique I have is that there were a few unnecessarily violent moments which could have easily been deleted from the script without affecting the plot of the film.   

Cast: Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong’o, Danai Gurira, Martin Freeman, Daniel Kaluuya, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Sterling K. Brown, Angela Bassett, Andy Serkis, Forest Whitaker, Florence Kosumba, John Kani, David S. Lee, Nabiyah Be, and more at   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/fullcredits 

Running Time: 2 hours 15 minutes 

Rated: PG-13 

1 Comment

One Response to “Black Panther: Marvel’s Money Maker”

1. Zalayah Hendricks on March 15th, 2018 8:49 am

I love this article and how in depth you went with your review, stick to reviews, they seem like a strong suit maybe

[Reply]

*

Black Panther: Marvel’s Money Maker