Filed under World News

‘I missed my whole senior year, I can’t get that back.’

Students studying to take their GED test. They were studying science because that is where they feel the weakest.

Caitlyn Long

Caitlyn Long

If any students at Patterson Mill were thinking about graduating early and getting their GED, think again. It’s a bad idea, students will be missing out on the high school experience, along with life lessons that are important parts of growing up. Kaitlyn Buie, a senior from Edgewood High School, gave her experience and opinions on graduating early to get her GED.

There are many reasons a student might want to graduate early and get their GED. These reasons can range anywhere from going to college early to just being lazy. All of those reasons can wait just one more year. Nothing is worth throwing away one of the best years of a student’s life. So many things happen during senior year. Figuring out which college you’re going to, senior week, senior prom, and all other activities. By missing a whole year of high school and going to college early, students need a certain amount of maturity to succeed that they might not have yet, which they will get during their senior year of high school.

High school is a very crucial part of everyone’s life. Students learn so much, from who their real friends are to the Pythagorean theorem. Graduating early will just skip over all of those important lessons. Also students meet so many people and it helps their social skills. Kaitlyn says, “You don’t want to miss out on all of the experiences that will happen to you. You learn a lot, whether that’s the pointless math classes you’re forced to take or learning about yourself and finding the person you really are.”

Another negative factor that comes with graduating early is students will feel very left out in their friend groups. They meet friends at school and that’s where they meet and talk about plans for the weekend and what not. “I did feel left out and I still do most of the time. I missed my whole senior year, I can’t get that back,” Kaitlyn said she has feelings of regret and that she basically fell out of sync with her friends. “I didn’t get to go to prom or any of the other dances. I had to stop sports. I also cut off a lot of my friendships because school was the only place I saw them.”

Extracurricular activities are very important to the majority of students. Sports are stress relievers, fun activities, and sometimes the only place and time kids can be themselves. Kaitlyn said she did sports to “relieve her stress,” but now she doesn’t have a way to do that. If students are planning on doing sports in college staying an extra year will be beneficial to their sports career. Most scouts for college team come to watch students play at one of their games during their senior year. This will also give them a whole other year to give a name for themselves in sports and they may receive more scholarships.

Time is also an issue when it comes to graduating early. Figuring out where students will be going to college, where they’re going to get the money for it and everything else that comes with it takes a great deal of time. Students have to visit all of the colleges they’re interested in, find a roommate, figure out transportation, payment, and so much more. If they stay you will have the whole year of senior year to figure this out, it’s so much to take in.

Basically, the point is, DO NOT drop out or graduate early unless absolutely necessary. Students may believe it would be fun not having to go to school, but they would be surprised the negative effects that come along with it. If you’re considering this, think long and hard before making a decision, make sure to contemplate all of the pros and cons that come with graduating early and getting a GED.