Filed under Reviews

Death’s Cure: The Maze Runner Finale

Is it possible for the third movie of this science fiction action thriller to live up to the high standard of the first two movies of this trilogy?  In the first movie of Maze Runners, the journey begins in a place called the Glade where the main character, Thomas (Dylan O’Brien), suddenly appears in a boys’ only teenage colony.  This introductory film ends with Thomas resting and feeling safe in a building with an organization called World In Catastrophe: Killzone Experiment Department (WCKD). That put all the runners in the maze.  In the second movie, Thomas and his friends escape to the desert from WCKD who wants their blood for a cure. Next, they find out about Cranks (post-human zombies) that are infected by the sun.  One of the main characters betrayed everyone and joined WCKD to try and help find a cure for the infected people in the world. 

Dylan O’Brien, who suffered a head injury so serious back in 2016 that production on the film had to be halted for eleven months, managed once again to bring the heroic character of Thomas to life on the big screen.  O’Brien insisted on setting up the same perilous stunt that injured him so badly, and his ability to overcome this traumatizing incident resulted in a powerful performance marked by his physical prowess, captivating expressions, and compelling delivery of dialogue.  At one point I wanted to refill my popcorn, but I was so engrossed by O’Brien’s portrayal that I literally could not leave my seat.  Supporting actors Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Kaya Scodelario, and Ki Hong Lee enhanced the film through their masterful performances, most notably when Lee showed anger to the person who betrayed him and his friends.   

There are many worthy positive elements portrayed in this third and final movie that would prompt me to advocate for this film. The elaborate and electrifying urban setting was jaw-dropping because of how it appeared to be a futuristic fortress to help the audience get an idea of the plot. The setting had the last non-destroyed city with walls almost as high as the skyscrapers in the city, with some heavy artillery and an elaborate number of soldiers securing the city from the people outside of the walls. A second positive element was that throughout the movie we see individuals risk their lives for enviable purposes.  A third element is that the main characters have continued to develop an increasingly genuine affection for each other as each movie progresses.   A final note-worthy element is one of the final breathtaking and dramatic highlights where a bus filled with petrified children was dropped by a crane at its highest point which had my heart racing.  

Although the majority of this film captivated my interest and attention, there were certain aspects that would cause me to not recommend it. The targeted audience was essentially directed toward middle schoolers and teenagers, and it had more profanity than I expected or appreciated.  Furthermore, there were a couple scenes where alcohol was glamorized, even among the underaged actors.  The amount of violence was unwarranted and was not necessary to gain an appreciation of this flick.    

Director: Wes Ball  

Cast: Dylan O’Brien, Ki Hong Lee, Kaya Scodelario, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Dexter Darden, Will Poulter, Jacob Lofland, Rosa Salazar, Giancarlo Esposito, Patricia Clarkson, Aiden Gillen, Barry Pepper, Nathalie Emmanuel, Katherine McNamera, Walton Goggins, Dylan Smith, and more at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4500922/fullcredits  

Running Time: 2 hours 22 minutes  

Rated: PG-13