Filed under Sports

2018 tennis: every point will be a smash hit

Tom Brosh (12). He is determined on the court. He's focused and he's in it to win it.

Mitch Lebovic

Mitch Lebovic

Tennis is a racquet sport that can be played individually against a single opponent or in teams of doubles. The sport includes communication skills, building friendships, and a healthy competition. If someone wants to be a part of a team, tennis is a good way to go and they should try out.

Tennis has many of benefits and it isn’t as easy as it seems. It involves plenty of cardio and hand-eye coordination. It’s a low impact, high-intensity activity that helps players’ heart rates through movements including sprinting, jumping, swinging and crouching. Tennis increases strength, it uses all of one’s basic muscle groups by using contractions, flexing, twitching, and stretching throughout the tennis court. This sport helps to improve coordination because the player is required to watch the ball at all times and hit it while it is coming at a fast speed. Tennis comes with a lot of health benefits and could help someone who wants to be active, but does not like contact sports. Sports like football, soccer, lacrosse, or wrestling involve close contact and some people don’t like the thought of that because they don’t like the idea of getting hurt. Tennis is not close contact, therefore people are less likely to get injured.

Mitch Lebovic
Brooke Santoriello (12). She is focused on hitting the ball. She’s got her head in the game.

At Patterson Mill High School, the JV tennis coach is Frau Consla (German teacher). She has been coaching since 2007, when the school opened. She coached varsity from 2007 to 2011 and then took a three-year break. When she came back to coaching in 2015, she started coaching JV. This year, there is a new coach, Ms. Romano (music teacher). This is her first year coaching, but she has been playing tennis for the majority of her life, so she is feeling confident in her coaching ability. She claims that there are aspects involved in music that are also involved in tennis.

Most people would feel unsure to join a team they don’t know much about, but tennis is an individual sport as well as a team sport. When working individually, players can work on independence and that is something that some students really struggle with. When working in doubles, players have the ability to work on communication skills, such as working well with others, camaraderie, and relationship building. Both the singles games and doubles involve a healthy competition with a safe environment. Tennis involves things that many people would find in class such as problem solving, strategies, thinking and acting on the fly, and relying on one’s self to make a quick decision. The duel gender aspect promotes a fun team environment and students have the opportunity to work as a team involved with both male and female and that is not something that is seen in every sport.

Conditioning and tennis for PMHS tennis involves forehand and backhand hitting, volleys, serving, and endurance. This sport is a life long sport, there are people playing it into their 90’s because it does not involve physical contact with other people, it has a very low injury rate, and it is very healthy for the mind and body. Tennis releases stress in a very positive way. Students in high school experience a lot of things that could cause stress. Some students of students relieve stress by self-sabotage when they get home from school instead of self-medicating through sports. Tennis lets athletes blow off steam in a safe space with positive people. It cannot be played alone, it takes at least two people to play so players will not be lonely while playing it. At Patterson Mill, the varsity team regularly performs well at UCBAC championships every May. Every year, someone on the tennis team has made it to participate in regional championships. There have been a few years where students have made it to state championships as well.

Tennis is a great sport for anyone to play if they want to be part of a team. It improves social and communication skills, problem solving, and working on strategies. Students should consider joining the tennis team because players are offered opportunities. “Try it. When I was in 9th grade I never picked up a racket, but I found myself at championships. I ended up with a scholarship,” Frau Consla advises students contemplating trying out. Ms. Romano claims “you can pick it up fairly quickly.” Tennis is an exciting and opportunistic sport and students should try it out.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “2018 tennis: every point will be a smash hit”

1. Olivia Peters on March 20th, 2018 9:59 pm

This is awesome!

[Reply]

2. Frau Consla on April 6th, 2018 10:39 am

Great article, Riley! You covered so many aspects of the sport with excellence.

[Reply]

*

• 2018 tennis: every point will be a smash hit

Sports

Girls Varsity Lacrosse Team checks winning the State Championship off their to-do list

Sports

Track and Field members run off to UCBAC

Sports

Making softball history, banner goal finally achieved

• Sports

Aitken-Geddes fights her way to the Governor’s Cup

Sports

Freshmen hit the ball towards a varsity spot

Sports

Lenoir-Rhyne University: baseball, softball powerhouse

Sports

Varsity Basketball heads to state playoffs

Sports

To turf or not to turf; a coach’s opinion

Sports

Moldenhauer DISCusses Ultimate Frisbee

Sports

Baltimore Orioles: planning to prove analysts wrong, yet again