Filed under Editorial

Expressing how students really feel; Swearing in school

Morgan Lang, grade 9, is looking over her notes for Biology class. She says that Biology makes her very stressed and most of the time makes her want to swear out loud.

A group of students from Patterson Mill were polled and 78 % said that they use profanity, while 22% said they did not use profanity in school. Words are sounds. Students should not get in trouble for making a sound. PMHS students are heard throughout the halls and in their classrooms swearing and should have a right to use profanity whenever they feel they should. Students have a voice as well as teachers do, therefore, they should not get in trouble. Even though teachers at Patterson Mill don’t seem to mind students cursing, teachers and students should be able to because overall, they are just words that are used everyday in the world and our community that help show how they feel.

Teachers and parents may argue that they see cursing in school as a bad thing and that it may affect a person in many ways, such as setting a bad impression and reducing the respect people have for you. They may also argue that swearing is bad for society because it contributes to people being civil, it may offend people, it may turn discussion into arguments, and lead to violence. Swearing may seem an inappropriate thing, but when looking past these arguments, cursing is an overall good thing. Swearing can have positive impacts such as it may relieve pain. When people are in a crisis or in severe pain, swearing is a way to let out your feelings and emotions. Swearing is also another way to vent. Cursing is a tool that may help tell how you are feeling and what your emotions are. Swearing can give us power and control. It will give us a greater sense of power and control over a bad situation. This can help boost our confidence and self-esteem. When people curse, they are mainly stressed out over something or upset and mad. Which is the reason why students swear in the halls because they will relieve that stress to their peers and express how they feel.

According to an anonymous source, they use profanity in school and even at home. They believe that the use of profanity eases their mind during a stressful event. “Each word has anger built with it or it would not be considered a curse word,” they stated. Due to this reasoning, they say that the use of profanity is not wrong or shameful in any way, shape, or form. They believe that, “people are allowed to be angry and should be allowed to express how they feel,” and they see that, “most of the stress and anger comes from school.” They stated that, “students have been seen as more stressed and filled with anger due to the stress of our peers, teachers, and work in school.”

PMHS students have gotten in trouble in their classes because of swearing. Teachers, in some cases, also use profanity in some situations, even if they are just talking to their class. If students are not allowed to swear in school, why can teachers? Along with using profanity in the classrooms, many situations are heard in the halls about upcoming tests or homework that is due the next day. In the end, swearing is a way to express what is going on. After all, curse words are just a couple of words that are part of everyday life and should be treated like every other word.