Teacher fails: Humiliating moments during teacher careers

Mr. Odell face palms in embarrassment. He finds his reading log vandalized by a reproductive system.

We all have that one moment in our lives where an outlandish event occurs. That gives us great stories to tell, whether they are embarrassing or just downright funny. Have you ever wondered, as students, what some of our teacher’s most memorable moments are? Here are six stories of some of the Patterson Mill teachers’ funniest and most embarrassing moments in their career, both from the middle and high school.

The first story was shared by Mrs. Killmond, the World History, Contemporary Issues, and Psychology teacher. Her story begins when she was teaching at another Harford County Public School, during a blood drive. She says that she hates needles and the sight of blood. Regardless, she wanted to show that she was a team player, so she decided to volunteer to donate blood. “I thought, “Ugh…I don’t really want to do it, but I’m a good sport and a new teacher, so I’ll do it,”” Killmond states, “even though I knew this would probably end badly.” She went to the auditorium and went up onto the stage. After she had answered all the questions, she sat down in a chair, where her palms started to get sweaty. Eventually they hooked her up and started taking her blood, when suddenly she started to feel really hot. Thinking of the events in the future as a result, she asked if she could leave right away. As she was being released from the medical supplies she thought,  “‘Oh no, this is not good, this is not good!’” As soon as she got up, she threw up all over herself. “I spent the rest of the day wearing a Red Cross t-shirt and being the teacher who threw up on herself.”

Mrs. Killmond shrugs off her barf bonanza. Sometimes that’s the way the cookie crumbles!

Mr. Odell, who teaches English for grades 9 and 10, recalls a time where he was printing out copies of a 100 minute reading log for his students. “I often repurpose paper that was printed on one side and just put the reading log on the other side,” Odell describes, “I just tell them to ignore what’s on the other side.” He grabbed a stack of paper that was in the repurpose box and began to make copies of the reading log, not paying attention to what was on the other side. Little did he know that on the other side was a picture of something that can only be assumed was for a health class. “It was a picture of the human reproductive system,” Odell jokingly admitted. “That was probably not the best choice for what was on the back of my paper.” To this day, Mr. Odell checks the repurpose paper more carefully to prevent events like this from happening again.

Mr. Odell’s embarrassing realization of his paper choice is similar to the next story. Middle school Chemistry and Physics teacher, Mr. Holzinger, remembers a chocolate catastrophe on his way to work one day. “I was wearing khakis, light colored pants,” Holzinger describes, “On the way to work, I ate a chocolate chip bagel and somehow a chocolate chip must have fallen down onto the seat and my body heat melted it.” Holzinger goes on to say that the chocolate chip, sure enough, melted to the back of his pants. He went the whole day without noticing it, until finally a student pointed it out to him. “I was like, ‘Oh my god! I had that on my pants all day long!’” Needless to say, some students probably took the stain on the back of his pants the wrong way.

The funny food fiesta doesn’t stop there. Ms. Hurley, who is one of the middle school special educators for the kids in the autism program, shared a story about a mac and cheese mayhem. “I was making Kraft mac and cheese for lunch,” Hurley explains, “and I forgot to put water in the cup.” She added on saying that she had put it in the microwave and she was treated with a sight of black smoke. “It smelled like the worst burning smell you could ever imagine.” She recalled the middle schoolers saying how bad the smell was and, to make matters worse, the smell didn’t go away for two weeks.  “All our clothes smelled like it when we walked out of the classroom.”

The next story comes from Mr. Arist. Currently the middle school health teacher, Mr. Arist was a former middle school PE teacher. He described how a certain article of clothing should not have been a part of his fashion sense. He was teaching a middle school class when he started to reach into his pocket. He felt a piece of clothing. “When I pulled it out it was a pair of pink underwear with little animals on them.” Arist knows that students had begun to laugh at him. “I know my face turned red.” He explained that his 5 year-old daughter’s underwear had gotten mixed in with his hoodie in the wash.

Last but not least, here is a story that Ms. Romano, a music teacher, has shared from her experience as a player for the Student vs. Faculty Basketball game. She remembered feeling excited when she got to come in during the last two minutes of the second quarter. “Mr. Moldenhauer got the ball halfway down the court,” she explains, “and it was one of those moments where your like, ‘Yes, it’s your time to shine!’” They made eye contact and Moldenhauer launched the ball. To her surprise, there was a senior already covering her and, as a result, she slipped and fell to the floor in front of the entire school. However, she took it as if nothing happened at all. “We kind of just laughed it off.”

Those were 6 of some of the Patterson Mill staff’s funniest teacher moments. Whether you were there to witness these hysterical mistakes or not, remember that your teachers are still people, too. Any mistakes, even the biggest, can be laughed off in the future. There might even be more stories out there, just ask your teachers. You never know what mistakes you might find, and you might just be able to learn from them as well. If any more teachers have any embarrassing moments to share, or even a student who recalls an embarrassing teacher moment, feel free to send it in!